Brake issues (Hawk pads)

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
I recently bought some Hawk brake pads. They really suck. For "performance" pads they aren't all that great and cause so much dust it's unreal. I didn't install them myself this time and the front passenger side brake has a sound like a rotor machine does when your turning your rotors. It's almost a metalic sound and it goes away when I turn the wheel to the left and returns when I drive straight or to the right. It also gets worse when I stop.

It is only on that one wheel. What can I do to get it to stop making noise. It's quite embarassing.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked it over? I say jack it up and unbolt/rebolt everything on that wheel to see if there's anything out of whack. Check to see if the caliper bracket can move easily at both ends(this will seize time to time if not lubed). My Hawk pads did the same with the dust. It just took a little bit of time and then they settled in fine.

Check to see if the rotor has any new groves and the width of contact. Maybe the new pads are etching the previout untouched area causing more noise and more dust. then again it would do it on the other side...

My 2 cents, someone else should chime in with better advice.

I wasnt smoking anything. I installed mine and 2500 miles later, no issues at all. I love them. Also have buddies that run them with no problems.

Maybe some of you dont know how to install brake pads correctly or the place you took them(BadMoFo) FORGOT to use brake quiet. I have seen the best brakes sound like crap$ good. Also oem brakes sound good and like crap. It's not the Hawk pads are *****, it probably is something else that is related. However that sound you hear, I would be willing to bet isn't a pad issue.

blackfang said:
I wasnt smoking anything. I installed mine and 2500 miles later, no issues at all. I love them. Also have buddies that run them with no problems.

Maybe some of you dont know how to install brake pads correctly or the place you took them(BadMoFo) FORGOT to use brake quiet. I have seen the best brakes sound like crap$ good. Also oem brakes sound good and like crap. It's not the Hawk pads are *****, it probably is something else that is related. However that sound you hear, I would be willing to bet isn't a pad issue.

I have gone back numerous times to the place that put them on (midas, cause I dont have anywhere to work on my own car) and they have put brake quiet, andjusted the calipers and almost anything they can think of, they still squeel alot. and randomly to, like sometimes all 4 coners, then not at all, then just the right side, or maybe the front 2. it is just driving me nuts. after I got them I talked to quite a few people on different stang sites and they all had the same complaint, just like a few other people in this thread. dont know maybe we all just got a bad batch:shrug: all I know is I wont be buying them again, to much noise and way to much dust.

BadMoFo- Is this after I told you what Brake quiet does in that other thread and you told them to put it on?

Like I have said I have seen People complain about Hawk pads, autozone pads, Napa pads, and oem pads. Maybe I got lucky. You can buy me a set and I will install another set to see if they squeal??
However the thread is about a noise he is getting when he turns the wheel.

blackfang said:
BadMoFo- Is this after I told you what Brake quiet does in that other thread and you told them to put it on?

Like I have said I have seen People complain about Hawk pads, autozone pads, Napa pads, and oem pads. Maybe I got lucky. You can buy me a set and I will install another set to see if they squeal??
However the thread is about a noise he is getting when he turns the wheel.

l know of and how to use brake quite. Just because you say you don't have a squeal doesn't mean everyone else is to stupid to install brake pads. The truth is they are noisy. The OEMS never gave me a problem.

Well, I would say that brake installs can be more challenging than expected and sometimes people skip important steps like lubing the slide pins. I think Blakfang has a point that often as not the problem with the brakes is due to the install rather than quality of parts.

When you change your pads, you need to clean and lube the appropriate items. You do not just slap a new set of pads on.

I am not saying anyone did or did not do their brakes correctly. I am just saying that brake pad replacement needs to be done correctly it is not always as easy as some may think.

MY Hawk HPS pads never squeal, maybe once or twice. You realize HPS are th only street pad they make, and ALL others will squeal because they are street/race or race pads. This thread is very misleading, I hate it when people make blanket statements about a company because they had one bad experience.

P.S> EBC green stuff bite worse then the HPS and dust more, misleading....

Dust is crazy. My chrome wheels are covered after only an hour of driving. They also squeal. Since I didn't do the pads myself I don't know what the shop did. Regardless it doesn't stop making the noise when the wheels turn any more and it doesn't make it when I first start driving. The first time I apply the brakes though is when they will start to make that noise.

As far as contact patch, there aren't any new grooves in the rotors and they turned the rotors when they put the new pads on.

When I get back from vacation the wheels are coming off for sure and I will re-do them.

McTeague said:
Well, I would say that brake installs can be more challenging than expected and sometimes people skip important steps like lubing the slide pins. I think Blakfang has a point that often as not the problem with the brakes is due to the install rather than quality of parts.

When you change your pads, you need to clean and lube the appropriate items. You do not just slap a new set of pads on.

I am not saying anyone did or did not do their brakes correctly. I am just saying that brake pad replacement needs to be done correctly it is not always as easy as some may think.
:nice:

jivepepper said:
l know of and how to use brake quite. Just because you say you don't have a squeal doesn't mean everyone else is to stupid to install brake pads. The truth is they are noisy. The OEMS never gave me a problem.
Of all the times I hear customers who installed pads and come in complaining of squeaking normally give a stupid look when you ask if they used brake quiet, cleanied the rotors, and lubing the pins. Yet they are the first to ****** about a brake pad being crap.

Heck there are shops that don't use brake quiet, or clean the rotors or even check for correct runout on a rotor.

I have installed brakes on this car(front and back) and zero issues of squeaking or dust and I use Hawk pads and Raybestos. I installed Hawks on my other 2 Mustangs and zero issues with them too. I wonder how many people actually installed the wrong type of pad as I have seen people with race pads and complain how they ran into a car on the street:rlaugh:

Actually Hawk makes 3 different types of Street brake applications, HP Plus, Ceramic and HPS.

i have the hawk hps pads and my brakes squeal like crazy! i get mega dust too. install was not an issue at all. i can do a brake job in my sleep. i used plenty of brake silence too. lots of suealing and TONS of brake dust. my wheels are gunmetal after less than a week. i know the drilled/slotted rotors dont help either, but still