broken wheel studs common?

cooper

Dec 9, 2005
I did a search and found about 3 threads on this , does it happen a lot? The reason i ask is a co-worker has an 01 vert with 18" chrome wheels and has had a stud break three times now, on the front! not the same stud , random. His wheels are in good condition , no curb checks. Is this common (aka crap ford parts?) The other threads talked about how to fix nothing mentioned about reliability or safety.

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldnt even know if i broke one i guess. however, the were fine when i changed rims. i did break one myself when changing the rims. they might be a little weak.:shrug:

Yeah it all depends on whether the person who puts the lugnuts on does it properly or not. Properly in my opinion meaning hand threading them to ensure they aren't crossthreaded, then using a torque wrench, not just impacting them on or using a breaker bar til they are sick tight.

Is he using spacers?

Improper torquing of lugs usually causes breakage.

When i put my wheels on, i use a torque wrench. I tighten in a star pattern first to 50 ft-lbs, then to 75 ft-lbs and then finally 100 ft-lbs.

Yeah, it seems like they most commonly break when an impact gun is used. You see shows on TV, or if you're at a shop....the mechanics will impact the lug nuts on so tight!!! I'm just like...what are you thinking???:nonono:

i use the impact gun but i have it at a low setting but i also hand start them too, then i lower the car down just enough to where the tires kiss the ground and torque them to spec and i have never had a rpoblem.

but i do agree some just let the gun go at full blast