Build Or Crate

ace305

Dec 28, 2011
I have a 2001 Bullitt with 69,000 miles. I have always wanted to build my own motor but I need advice. I was thinking of buying a junk 4.6 and tear it down and rebuild to a 5.0 on my own time. I have read about crate motors. Looks like crate motors are stock correct? Do companies build better performer crate motors? What is more cost effective, rebuilding your own or buying a crate motor with more power? My goal is to have a motor only 400hp car. I dont want a power adder. What is the most cost effective way to get to 400hp, rebuild or crate?

thanks everyone.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The most cost effective for that amount of power would be a simple rebuild reusing the stock crank, replacing the rods/pistons with any reputable forged pieces, ARP studs, and refresh the heads. You said cost effective but no power adder; the most cost effective way is to use a power adder. A supercharger will get you that power while also remaining very streetable, reliable, and retain fuel efficiency. The "all motor" alternative is going to be more expensive and not as fun to drive on the street.

The most cost effective for that amount of power would be a simple rebuild reusing the stock crank, replacing the rods/pistons with any reputable forged pieces, ARP studs, and refresh the heads. You said cost effective but no power adder; the most cost effective way is to use a power adder. A supercharger will get you that power while also remaining very streetable, reliable, and retain fuel efficiency. The "all motor" alternative is going to be more expensive and not as fun to drive on the street.
Robert,

thank you. It seems like a supercharger is $5 grand. Would rebuilding a motor cost more with what you listed? Seems like i can get a new motor for less than a supercharger. is my assumption wrong?

Where are you buying a 400hp, naturally aspirated 2v 4.6 crate engine for $5k?
I am not sure you can. I am trying to find out. Can i build a 400hp motor for $5 grand? not even sure if i can. I would like a new motor over a supercharger. What HP could I build with your original reply? and for what $$$?

The most cost effective for that amount of power would be a simple rebuild reusing the stock crank, replacing the rods/pistons with any reputable forged pieces, ARP studs, and refresh the heads.

There are so many questions since I don't know what you are wanting out of this thing. Why 400hp? 400 at the crank or the ground? Why no forced induction? What do you want to do with it?

No, you won't be able to build or buy a 400hp naturally aspirated 2v 4.6 for $5k. You would need more displacement, meaning a new crank as well as a lot of machining, heavily ported heads, monster cams, a good tuner, and some luck.

For what I'm assuming you want to use it for, doing nothing but slapping on a basic Vortech or ProCharger supercharger with a 6-8 psi pulley would make you happy, be reliable, not tank your fuel economy, and can be done in a weekend. When I did it on my 2000 GT, I was in $4000 or so.

There are so many questions since I don't know what you are wanting out of this thing. Why 400hp? 400 at the crank or the ground? Why no forced induction? What do you want to do with it?

No, you won't be able to build or buy a 400hp naturally aspirated 2v 4.6 for $5k. You would need more displacement, meaning a new crank as well as a lot of machining, heavily ported heads, monster cams, a good tuner, and some luck.

For what I'm assuming you want to use it for, doing nothing but slapping on a basic Vortech or ProCharger supercharger with a 6-8 psi pulley would make you happy, be reliable, not tank your fuel economy, and can be done in a weekend. When I did it on my 2000 GT, I was in $4000 or so.
great info. this is the info i need to hear. I am learning. I have a donated PI 4.6 to rebuild. I obviously overstated 400hp. its just a second car for my young son and I. I have always wanted to rebuild a motor on my time. What about just stroking the 4.6 to 5.0 ? i read 30 -50 HP gains from that. I think a new motor stroked that i build with cams would make me happy. I would like to use my Bullitt intake. Thanks for all this info

great info. this is the info i need to hear. I am learning. I have a donated PI 4.6 to rebuild. I obviously overstated 400hp. its just a second car for my young son and I. I have always wanted to rebuild a motor on my time. What about just stroking the 4.6 to 5.0 ? i read 30 -50 HP gains from that. I think a new motor stroked that i build with cams would make me happy. I would like to use my Bullitt intake. Thanks for all this info

At 69,000 miles your engine is likely in excellent shape. The stock motor with forced induction is good till 400rwhp with a good tune.

When considering “bang for buck” - There is no need to rebuild your motor unless you have a major mechanical issue. That much power from a stroker kit on a naturally aspirated motor is a stretch. The bang for buck with these motors is some flavor of forced induction.

Naturally aspirated you are looking at full exhaust, trickflow heads, cams, forged rods, pistons, a million odds and ends, and bigger injectors all to make on average low to low-mid 300rwhp range. Be about 5k if you did all the labor yourself and price shopped like a champ.

Pick any blower kit - 2.1L Kenne Bell, Tork tech, vortech, or Procharger - 5k spent and you would have better drivability plus more power. You are looking at either buying a complete kit or for possibly less cost piecing together a tuner kit + injectors +fuel pump + intercooler (or other cooling system) + tuner + dyno tune.

See this similar thread https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cylinder-heads.900716/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I was wanting N/A I would get a 94-95 GT or older fox body, 400+ HP quite easy and relatively cheap. No blower then there is no reasonable substitute for cubic inches (nitrous doesn't count for me except at the track).

Dark04GT hit the nail on the head. Boost is by far more affordable than engine builds these days.

Ford pretty much had to increase displacement from 4.6 to the 5.0 to make comparable power to the Dodges and Chevy's. You would have to stroke and cam a 4.6L to do what the new stock coyotes do. By the time you spend the money on that engine build you could have paid off more than half the car on a used 11 to 14 coyote. Only way for us 4.6L guys to stay in the game is to ram that air into them small lungs.

Dark04GT hit the nail on the head. Boost is by far more affordable than engine builds these days.

Ford pretty much had to increase displacement from 4.6 to the 5.0 to make comparable power to the Dodges and Chevy's. You would have to stroke and cam a 4.6L to do what the new stock coyotes do. By the time you spend the money on that engine build you could have paid off more than half the car on a used 11 to 14 coyote. Only way for us 4.6L guys to stay in the game is to ram that air into them small lungs.

Sometimes I wish I would have bought a newer 5.0. It would have been easier than trying to “stay in the game” as you said.

There is a minor difference in price point though. We can build power cheaper than buying the new stuff. But if guys with new stuff start modding the same way, we're back of the pack again. Unless you get real crazy. Crazy costs big money too. Vicious cycle of motorsports.

Reactions: 1 user