Burnt Fuse or Ignition. Car wont start.

Redeemedsoul

Sep 4, 2005
Hello all, just got back from a 2 week vacation.. (happy holidays all) and forgot to disconnect the battery.
5.0 v8 1987 gt

I tried to start her up and got the gerrrr gerrr you hear when the batteries dieing.

I try to give it jumper cables from my f150.. put the key in.. gerrr gerrr.. put the key back to "lock" .. go at it again.. nothing, silent no key in ignition lights, no gauges nothing. no sounds, no horn, no battery, no radio..

I figure its the battery, and went out and got a new battery from autozone.. (duralast red top) Come back still nothing..

Could this be a fuse, which fuse, where can i find it..

Or is something else wrong here?

Thanks for all responses to come,
-rS

• Sponsors (?)

If you have no power at all, go over the battery connections (on both ends of the cables) and examine the cables themselves. Ensure the solenoid's battery connection is clean and tight.

Good luck.

update: bought a new red wire. connected it up, bought a new black battery end connected that.. bought a new battery..

still nothing at all.. didnt check the ground to the block, will have to do that tomm.

The solenoid sparks when both side/screws get touched by a screwdriver.. So it seems the solenoid is getting power to it..

Should I replace the solenoid and see the results?

Also went over all fuses inside and replaced and checked a few..

-rS

Just put a screwdriver between the solenoid and tried to see if it would crank, but thats not it.. because nothing at all would turn on again...

Don't know what it could be, since nothing turns on at all..
-rS

Check the grounds. All automotive electrical systems depend on the quality of the ground to provide a return path to the battery. Grounds should bolt down to clean shiny metal, no dirt, oil or corrosion.

ignition switch? bad alternator? May want to have it checked. If I remember correctly there isnt one common fuse or fusable link but there is one common point on the alternator. Those connectors will burn so maybe its a bad connections.

Update: Grounds are clean and clear to metal. No lose wires I can see. Checking alternator tomm. If thats not it, its being towed to a mechanic and the work will just be farmed out 8( ... thx
-rS