Buying LCA's...What Factors to Consider.

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
One of the things Im looking at doing along with brakes BEFORE the engine swap is U/L rear control arms. I have seen ALL 4 for $139, and I have seen just a pair for $300+. What are the factors to consider? Please try to relate it to MY application, which will be mainly street use. Im looking for better traction. I dont need the top of the line, but I dont want junk either...Pretty much want an intermediate level that will be worth the $$ spent to upgrade. Any brands/styles/links will be helpful. Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Alot of the more economical brands use 2-piece polyurethane bushings all around, which work well enough for straight-line performance, but aren't the best choice in terms of corner carving because they cause the suspension to bind and become unpredictable at the limits, and can also comprimise the torque boxes. The Steeda arms, or any other that uses a 3-piece bushing, are a good design since they have a stiff disk-style bushig in the center for straight-line performance and softer outer bushings to allow the suspension to move more freely with minimal squeeks and bind. The MM arms, as well as some other brands, use a spherical rod bushing at the axle end to further eliminate any binding, but might cause a slightly higher level of NVH.
There are a couple of brands that have copies of the Steeda and MM arms that sell for cheap, that are not 100% the same, but I'm sure they work just as well. Here's one that I've heard great things about:

http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Mustang-Control-Arms-67.html

Just remember, its always better to spend the extra money on a good set once than having to replace a crappy set down the road.

Mega Bite Jr's for the 96 Cobra...239.95....for 2 lowers, did not notice any better 60ft times...did not get better traction....NO GREASE FITTINGS...they squeak when cold. My stock arms were still in good shape.

Pro-Form for the 91 Notchback....179.95 for all 4...helped my wheel hop, and the car handles WAY better on the freeway....and they have grease fittings....worth every penny because my stock arms were worn out.

I have two totally different set ups on my two cars...if I had to do it over, I would buy the cheaper ones.... for both cars..they both have poly bushings, Meg bites are zinc...(gold finish)...the Pro-Forms are grey metallic powdercoat.

If you're a pimp....

MMRLCA-2.jpg

Mega Bite Jr's for the 96 Cobra...239.95....for 2 lowers, did not notice any better 60ft times...did not get better traction....NO GREASE FITTINGS...they squeak when cold. My stock arms were still in good shape.

Pro-Form for the 91 Notchback....179.95 for all 4...helped my wheel hop, and the car handles WAY better on the freeway....and they have grease fittings....worth every penny because my stock arms were worn out.

I have two totally different set ups on my two cars...if I had to do it over, I would buy the cheaper ones.... for both cars..they both have poly bushings, Meg bites are zinc...(gold finish)...the Pro-Forms are grey metallic powdercoat.

Any links to the Pro-form ones?

I dont think I will necessarily need 3-pc ones..just do "normal" street driving.

Therian: Not sure what your post with the MM ones mean :shrug:
Thanks
RC

stangsuspension has a nice u/l combo for like 200 buxs. ive also read a few threads about d&d and the people seemed to like em. those are the 2 i was looking at. but i ended up just getting the mm lca and new bushings for my uppers. im very happy with my lowers! :nice:

stangsuspension has a nice u/l combo for like 200 buxs. ive also read a few threads about d&d and the people seemed to like em. those are the 2 i was looking at. but i ended up just getting the mm lca and new bushings for my uppers. im very happy with my lowers! :nice:

[sie=2] Well I was considering getting brakes from SS.com, so May as well get their u/l arms to save some shipping.. IM sure whatever I get will be way better than what is on there now.
RC

Any links to the Pro-form ones?

I dont think I will necessarily need 3-pc ones..just do "normal" street driving.

Therian: Not sure what your post with the MM ones mean :shrug:
Thanks
RC

No link....I bought them at Detroit Speed Shop....local perfomance store in Michigan...they have a website....they should be able to ship them to you.

I've got the D&D econo set - http://www.dndmotorsports.com/?page...category_id=49ae6d5bca26079ec902f1fec6ebf355&

Took a while to get them because they were out of bushings when I ordered.

They are well built pieces for the price - very shiny. I didn't gain anything at the track with them on the one time I've been since the install. I never had bad wheelhop and my stock bushings were in great shape though... YMMV. I'm also not the king of launching either. :)

Install way very straight forward - had to monkey around with the swaybar and go buy a couple bolts to get it to fit with the ABS bracket - not a big deal however.

Wes

Buddy of mine has the UPR U/L 200$ setup and loves them. I am kinda torn between the UPR 200$ set and the blue oval ind. on ebay for 13x$. I have a stock susp. but not stock 94 (bullit springs, gettings shocks and struts on when I do the U/L's). I have cut 1.9 60s on street tires on 100% factory 94 susp. so I am not worried about hitting my goal of a 1.7 with ET DR or streets. My car is just a fun driver to me, not looking to go TOO harsh.

I had SSM bars on it, I think they are good for a track car but for my goals/use just too harsh. Since I basicly want a stock-ish setup I am leaning to the cheaper BOI setup as my only real req. is that I dont want to put the quad shock back on and a tube/boxed lower will make that happen.

Anyone see a problem with the UPR ones in the mags for $199?

Are the Pro3i ones you refer to the lowers for $169 and the uppers for $129?

Thanks
RC
yeah, sorry i didnt realize it wasnt a direct link. i have the street/race lowers with the 3piece poly bushing on the chasis side and spherical bushing on the axle side

very nice quality part

If you're a pimp....

MMRLCA-2.jpg

i just put a set of those in a few weeks ago. i don't have much to say as i drove the car maybe 4 miles since then.

i replaced a set of hp motorsports lca's that worked very well--i just needed some rear ride height adjustment.

there are a set of lca's that use a relocation bracket on the axle side that are said to work fantastic, but they only come with a 2 pc bushing on both ends.

quite honestly you will notice a good improvement with whatever you do. with that said you really can't go wrong with summit stuff. just buy the lowers and maybe add a panhard bar if budget allows.