Buzz / Rattle at ~2,000rpm...

So my 2007 GT (only modifications are a Brenspeed Tune and FRPP GTAs) buzzes everytime I cross 2,000rpm in gear... it happens in every gear and is more pronounced when there is more load on the car. It does not happen when revving in neutral.

I searched and found a couple of threads with identical problems... the dealer said I needed to replace the crossmember right below the transmission for ~$300. Obviously I'm not doing that. :bs:

Somebody else posted a picture of the transmission bell-housing with instructions on sticking some foam tape between the end of the tranny and the thin metal plate that is bolted to it. I performed this fix, but it did not fix the buzz. I am convinced there are other people out there with this same problem that managed to eliminate it.

Help!

• Sponsors (?)

I prolly posted the tape in the bellhousing thing. The dealer did it for me, and it pretty much worked. This was last year.

THIS year, I have noticed the buzz...it came back, but...it was gone within 2 minutes, once the car warmed up. I'll have to see how it works in the colder weather.

Try the tape thing. The dealer loosened the bottom two bolts and put some sticky foam tape in there, then tightened up the bolts.

Hope that helps.

I did the foam tape thing and it didn't fix it. This **** drives me nuts!

I also have the really loud low rattle of the entire dash/console when the car is cold. Apparently that's the exhaust hanger directly below there is a TSB for.

Ford really letting me down here... my car is a ****in rattle trap after 49,000 miles. Did I mention the door panel rattling it's ass off at certain bass-frequencies from the stereo? Had that TSB performed 3x, still does it.

Ugh.

There is also a TSB for center stack rattle which involves removing (cutting) the two exhaust hangers that fit into the transmission crossmember. Not sure if this is your issue but if it has not already been done to your car I would do it anyway as it does help remove some powertrain vibs from the floor boards and seems to make the car drive a little smoother.

I did the foam tape thing and it didn't fix it. This **** drives me nuts!

I also have the really loud low rattle of the entire dash/console when the car is cold. Apparently that's the exhaust hanger directly below there is a TSB for.

Ford really letting me down here... my car is a ****in rattle trap after 49,000 miles. Did I mention the door panel rattling it's ass off at certain bass-frequencies from the stereo? Had that TSB performed 3x, still does it.

Ugh.

The dealer did the exhaust hanger TSB on my car first, before the tape. The result? I now lack 2 exhaust hangers, and the buzz was still there. The foam tape did the trick. I think the actual TSB requires them to futz with the flywheel and such, which requires dropping the transmission. I thought a foam tape idea would be good to try first....and it worked (thankfully).

The door panels suck. Anything in the door "pocket" will rattle. I found (thankfully!) the buzz rattle in my driver's door. The door handle has a plastic panel behind it that moves slightly...and that was the rattle. If I push it towards the back of the car, it "clicks" into place and the rattle stops...problem is, it will need it pretty much every time after I shut the door.

It's a very thin plate on the end of the bellhouse (where it meets the engine). There are two bolts that will let you pry it open a bit.

I might try again with thicker tape... and the exhaust hanger TSB is a totally separate buzz that comes up through the center stack. I have more confidence in my ability to fix that one (with TSB in hand).

I have a buzzing noise as well but didn't think much of it. However now I am wondering if it is the bell housing issue. I thought my buzzing was from the plastic boarder around the shifter because when it starts buzzing and I hold that piece the buzzing stops. However today I removed the piece of plastic and I heard the buzzing again. The weird thing was if I put my hand back where the piece of plastic was it stops. Is this what you guys experienced?

The door handle has a plastic panel behind it that moves slightly...and that was the rattle. If I push it towards the back of the car, it "clicks" into place and the rattle stops...problem is, it will need it pretty much every time after I shut the door.

You can pop that trim piece off and put a bit of felt behind it, or the soft side of velcro. Just a small bit in the middle may help.

I get the bellhousing noise when the car is cold (below 50ish) and when I rev past ~2500 rpm. Once the car warms up a bit it disappears. I may slide some washers in there and some tape to fill the gap.