Calling all Body Guys - Quarter Panel Fitment

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I have a drivers side replacement quarter for my 65 FB and am going to cut the original quarter out approx 3/4" below the top body line.

It's possible to overlay the new panel overtop of the existing which includes the small flange wraps at each end where it joins the door pillar and the tail light housing. So when the original panel is removed, the new panel will likely fit on and be 1/8 inch or so longer than the original (flange to flange). Anyone know how to deal with that issue when attaching the new quarter?

Thanks in advance all.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I disagree with the location of the seam in that article. My quarters were replaced 30 years ago, with the seam about 3/4" below, as you describe. Almost undetectable from underneath, and not so much as a check in the paint along the seam. And I'm talking daily driver, I put close to 200,000 miles on that seam.

My brother had it done by a body shop on his '70 Barracuda, I think they went a full inch below. I just provided that article as a guide. There are many ways to Rome. But if you can get a full quarter, that would be best, and just bore out the original welds.

Fitment

Harbor Freight sells an air powered offset tool that puts a 1/2 inch wide offset in the original metal so when you lay the new metal into the offset it will fit flush with the original metal instead of laying on top of it. It will take a little while to work around the opening where you will be fitting in the new quarter panel at 1/2 inch at a time, but there will be less finish work since you will only need to grind off the small amount of weld bead that sticks up above the original metal, and almost no body filler will be needed.

You can overlap on the top of the quarter panel but not in the door jamb or taillight panel. You will have a problem with the door gap and the end cap may stick out farther than the deck lid. You may get by with the taillight panel but you don't what the extra metal in the jamb.