Cam help

90whitepony

Jan 12, 2004
I cant seem to decide if I want to keep my e cam or not.I got it free from a buddy of mine last year so I could not complain.I have afr 165 heads cobra 1.7 rockers ported cobra intake 75mm throttle body 24lb injectors equal length headers and mac off road and cat back.It is a five speed lx with 3.73 gears and I plan on putting a 100-150 horse shot of nos.I am pleased with the cam but have heard that the ford cams really are not that good anymore.I found a hardly used trickflow stage one cam for a good price but cant decide if I should pick it up or possibly buy a differant one.I dont really care about idle quality I drive the car to drive it not sit and idle and I plan on taking it to the strip on stret nights once I get the tranny rebuilt.Any input would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

the TFS cam is slightly better then the E-cam but would not provide a significant HP increase do to haveing only +1 degree diff. on intake side and +5 degree on exh lobe sep is slightly different also but not a major factor with a manual trans.
prob only see 10 to 15 HP increase over the E-cam. probably wiser to step up in cam profiles 2 really benefit shelling out money over the free cam.

What about advancing the cam with the prockets how much of a differance would that make.I dont really want to buy a custom cam cause I am going to build a stroker motor next winter and dont want to pay to have 2 cams made.Are there any other cams out there you can suggest I have already looked at comp , crane , and lunati.I saw an anderson cam that sounded pretty nice but it looked kind of pricey.

would help significantly if you could provide some specs on spring pressures and max lift allowable on your heads.
there are a few economically priced cams out there but have to match springs to them or stay within spec of current spring rates.
as far as advanceing cam, that will bring the power band down lower generally increaseing torque #s but sacrificeing a few ponies in exchange also decreaseing max RPM range, but can be a good trade off depending on driveing habits.

I have the afr 165 with the weaker springs in them so I was already planning on replacing them whether I put a new cam or not so no matter what cam I use I will put the springs in to match the cam.I only put about 6 to 8 thousand miles on a year.I would not cal it a dailly driver cause I have a second car and a bike.I just figured if I am going as far as replacing the springs maybe look into putting a differant cam in at the same time if it winds up being worth it.I already have someone that will buy my e cam from me so that just brings the price down for a new cam I really just want to know if changing my cam will give decent amount over the e cam or if I am just better off running what I have and wait till i build a new motor.Also anouther factor is nos cause I am putting that in this year and dont know if the cam I have is very good for a 125-150 shot.

heres a website, online-racer.com that offers very economically priced roller cams and they also can grind you a custom spec cam if wanted also.
i was playing around on my cam profile tester and seen a 60+hp increase over the E303 with this part#RC6 JHR-RG although it wont be very computer friendly possibly requireing additional electronic mods. (chip programmed 2 work with cam) hypertech is a good place 4 that.
this particular cam is very aggressive and wont idle very good even with computer reprogrammed being very choppy in idle quality in a 302, being intended for more cubes
but can be made to work with proper tune.
part#RC6P JHR-RG is more computer friendly but averaged 20+HP increase over the E
hope this helps.

going off what PAW had listed as ford raceings oem H.O. spec cam 204 int-204-exh dur @.050 .444 valve lift compareing 2 the E-303's 220 int 220 exh dur @.050 .498 valve lift, my cam program showed an average improvement 40HP & 26TQ theoretically depending on elevation, & other factors taken into account at the flywheel.

no prob. always glad 2 play with the profile tester software. can sit there for hours at a time.........lol
very accurate so far after runs on a real dyno 2 compare 2.
helps that my brother owns the dyno i test on!