camaro vs. mustang

My sons step father just bought a 1978 camaro with automatic tranny and a 350 in it. He started bragging on how his car would beat my capri in a race. I said that mine would beat his. Now he wants to race. I dont because its not a mature thing to do since we are parents and could cause some problems. Anyways I was just wondering if he is right. What do you think is the faster car? Mine is a 1986 5.0 with gutted H pipe, flow masters, K&N air filter and I have a 5 speed tranny. I know my car is fast. It diffenitly hauls ass. Just want your opinions.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

hemi_fan said:
You should destroy him... I raced my buddy's Iroc with a cammed 350, and a T5... the thing ran a 15.7s quarter against my 14.7... I know my 14.7 was slow... but dang, his car is a real dog. lol
wow somethings wrong there...if he has any decent cam he shouldnt be running high 15's

but yea a stock smogged 350 with low compression (8.5:1 i think) back in 78 probably made only 170 hp...of course you would win. im sure the mustang was slow back in 78 too :D is that Mustang II???

I found this:

Daring to mess (however lightly) with success, Chevrolet equipped the 1978 Camaro with a new nose that put the big bumpers under soft plastic. Five models were now offered (sport coupe, Rally Sport, Type-LT, Type-LT Rally Sport and Z/28), and translucent T-tops were a new option. The Z/28's full-disco body package :rlaugh: (with front fender vents and a fake hoodscoop) was supported in '78 with a revised version of the 350 V8 now rated at a better-but-still-weak 185 horsepower.
Though almost a carryover from '78, the 1979 Camaro would prove the most popular one yet. The Type-LT vanished in favor of a new trim level called Berlinetta, but the engines were all unchanged, even though power ratings were rattled a bit in contending with emissions requirements (Z/28 output dropped to 175 horsepower for 49-state cars). The most substantial change to the '79 Camaro was a new instrument panel with more contemporary instrumentation and better control placement. Chevy sold a stunning 282,571 Camaros during the 1979 model year — a number it would never top.

The late 70's were a very dark time for performance.

How in the hell do you make a 350 with only 175 hp? They prolly spent more time figuring out how to make a 50% VE engine, than they would have if they just figured out how to get better mileage!!