Can an OEM A/T handle a heavy modded 01 GT

• Sponsors (?)

I was pushin 430rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with my old SQ-Trim blower. That was also only reving the car to 5700rpms and I normally take to 6700 so Im sure there was more power there. This was a completly BONE STOCK auto, not even a tranny cooler on it. I always woundered what the record HP and 1/4 mile time was for a bone stock 4R70W, I would think I would be close to it. I know if I could get the car in the 10s with the stock tranny this year but Im not going to risk breaking at a track thats 1.5-2hrs away from home.

The problems are starting though. Its sliping in 2 and 3 gear which is hurting my power and also the covertor was unlocking on the dyno hence why we only took it to 5700rpms. Im getting a built tranny w/ stall put in Feb 4th along with a tune for the new blower to fix these problems.

It all depends on how you drive the car and how much you race it. Im pretty easy with it on the street and race it maybe 1-2 times a month for the past 2 years with the blower on it. It only started acting up in July so really it held up pretty well.

Man I want 400+. Are your only mods the ones listed in your sig?

i do have a forged shortblock with ceramic coated pistons. i think the ceramic coating makes a sizable difference. i seem to be making more power than similar cars. i made 380rwhp at 11.0:1 a/f ratio and 16* timing with the stock converter, LMAF, and SVTF pump. I have since leaned it out to 12.0:1, replaced the stock converter with a lighter and stronger PI triple disc, and had to replace the LMAF and SVTF pump because i maxed them both out. and this is all non-intercooled on 93 octane.

The auto transmissions in the 99-04 Mustangs were the best 4R70W's yet. My tuner runs a 9 second Mach 1 through that transmission. It was stock through the entire 11 second and 10 second season. The winter before he ran 9's he pulled it and had his builder rebuild it. His builder told him there was nothing really wrong with it, but he still beefed it up.

I would at least add a big trans cooler with a fan and good fluid. A shift kit will also be plus as well.