Can someone help? Need to know how brake pedal ass'y goes together

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
(92 LX ) A little over a year ago, I pulled the brake booster and master cyl for a replacement. I finally got back to working on the thing. I've got the booster and all back in, but I am unable to remember how everything at the brake pedal goes back together. I remember slightly.. theres a white plastic washer and also a black one. I think there was a clip but I forgot. There are also 2 sensor switches that go back in, but how they were connected and where is kinda beyond my memory. Can someone provide a couple pics.. a diagram or whatnot to help me remember just how everything is fit back together? I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help in the future.

• Sponsors (?)

I will look at mine tonight for you and see if I can snap a pic or two. I remember the rod that comes out of the booster goes to the left of the pedal arm. The Brake light switch goes over the end of the booster rod pointing straight off the end. A pin goes through the pedal arm from the right, the nylon washer goes on the pin between the pedal arm and the booster rod (with the brake light switch on it now). Once you have the pin all the way through the booster arm, there is a washer that goes on the end and a clip that goes through the hole in the pin that keeps it all together. As far as another switch, I'll have to look for that. Like I said, I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Thank you for the detailed info. I appreciate it. 4G-KDMP sent me a couple images and diagrams this morning. That was exactly what I was looking for. Your info helps. But just letting you know you don't have to go out and take more pics.

I actually think these images and your info should be within SN's technical sticky thread. That way the info is there for everyone. It's quite confusing especially if you haven't fumbled with the linkage in a couple years.

Will something like this help?

View attachment 195258

View attachment 195259

4.jpg

I've probably got a few more if you need something different.

Quick question if someone can answer it. In post #10 , what is that black plastic piece that is within the red circle? I have the very same piece on mine but I don't know what it's for. It looks like it bumps up against a white button in a cable or something.

Is that something to do with cruise control ?

Quick question if someone can answer it. In post #10 , what is that black plastic piece that is within the red circle? I have the very same piece on mine but I don't know what it's for. It looks like it bumps up against a white button in a cable or something.

Is that something to do with cruise control ?

What I circled in red is the Brake Light Switch and it does have something to do with the Cruise Control. When the brakes pedal is depressed and electrical signal is sent to the speed control amplifier and will turn off the system.

If you click on the pic to enlarge it you can see below the red pin that holds the Brake Light Switch to the brake pedal.

View attachment 194980
View attachment 194981

Ahh that works man. Thank you for that info. I only asked because when I re-assembled the brake assembly in '09 , I recall having to slide the cable forward a notch inside it's bracket groove because the button was not even touching it when the pedal was released. I figured that plastic piece had to bump against it for some reason but I didn't know what for...

Thanks again ... is appreciated

just rewired the brake pedal switch in my car last night easiest fix is to go to autozone and pick up a brake pressure switch or brake check valve and take your 2 wires from the plug and wire them on to the new switch and you **** will work