cant figure it out

GYTTEUP50

Apr 14, 2007
i have a 95 gt 5 speed with some miles on her. when i first start it up in the morning, it runs strong for about a mile or so, th falls flat on its face. the weird think is though, if i, while the car is moving, turn the key off and hit it again, its string for another few moments. ive changed the computer, tps sensor, fuel pump, alternator, cai temp sensor but nothing has helped. also ran countless computer tests, generic code readers and ford, and the car wont communicate with the reader, this is why i tried swapping computers.

any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

have you cleaned your maf and changed out the o2s?

since its fine when cold and has a problem when warm, that would lead me to the o2 sensors since they take a bit to warm up. they adjust your fuel/timing.....

I'd pull the codes and see what's going on.

Sounds to me that when it goes into "closed loop" (aka the car is warmed up and ready to read from the sensors to control the engine functions) it is getting a bad reading from a sensor.

Like ProKiller said, MAF and O2s are likely culprits. The MAF is easy to clean (search on here to find how) and the O2s are around $50 a pop if I remember correctly. They are something you can swap out yourself.

Clean the MAF and then run codes if you still have the problem. If it's been a while since you've had the battery off, you may want to disconnect the battery and hold the brake pedal to totally reset the computer and clear off all the codes. Then drive it a while and you can check the codes - only new ones will be stored.

Wes

Also, tell us more about the non-communication with the code readers. What code do you get? Did Ford put it on a scope?

Good luck.

I also say to clean the MAF. My car did the same thing and threw a ton of BS codes. Cleaned the MAF and it cleared right up. Now I clean it every 15k miles or so and notice a difference every time...