Can't get valve stem keepers out. HELP PLS!

95 GT

Oct 29, 2004
OK. I did everything by the book, but it ain't workin'. Got the compressed air in the cylinder (that works a lot better than I though it would:) ) Got the V/C off, got the spring compressed with the overhead style valve spring compressor. Now everything I read tells me the valve should sit still, and once the spring and top hat are compressed a bit the keepers should be so loos that you can remove them with a magnet. I tried both the intake and the exhaust valves, and no luck. The spring, the top hat, and the keepers just all stick together. I even tried tapping the top hat around the edges to loosen them, but the just won't budge. HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The normal method it to place a socket on the spring retainer and give it a sharp smack with a hammmer. Then when you apply the spring compressor, the keepers will separate from the spring retainer.

Some guys have used a long piece of hemp rope fed through the spark plug hole and then crank the engine up to TDC compression stroke. The rope compresses and wedges the valves in place. Just be sure to leave enough of the rope sticking out the spark plug hole to get a good hold of so you can pull it out.

Yea those keepers can be difficult to remove. I had some that came right off with a magnet but i've also had some that took some persuasion with a flat head screwdriver and a persuader! Chances are you arent going to re-use them so it doesnt matter if you nick them up a little. Just be very careful you dont damage the valve stem.

i used that same bar style spring compressor on a set of heads clamped to the bench..maybe you need more air pressure in the cylinder? i pushed on the bar and tapped the top of the spring retainer with a smaller hammer and it worked everytime, using the tool is just a PITA

~Mark~