car cranks but wont start, and thats not the problem

triostang

Dec 24, 2003
ok, so i had ordered some alternator feed but every seems to be on back order. And i need to drive the car so i decide to rig up something for the mean time. When i finally finish i try to start it and it cranks but no start. No gas was getting to it so i pump the gas to get a little fuel. Nothing, i just keep cranking and cranking but nothing. Then it freaks me out and keeps cranking even after i took out the key, so now i just have the battery cables unplug. WHAT SHOULD I DO? do you guys have an idea of what happened? i got all the alternator wires right i know that part.Im stuck:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What about the wires on your starter solenoid? Are they good? Is the solenoid good?

Have you tried dumping some gas directly into the carburator? (I wouldnt do this until you had your starter situation fixed though)

The solenoid looks new(but i cant be saying its good just b/c it looks do i?) And im not sure about the wires, none of them are cracked or cut anywhere. I replaced the ones that were in bad condition like that

Here is the deal. The solenoid is fine because it would turn over. You ran the battery down enough to a point where there wasn't enough current left to disengage the solenoid and/or the starter is overheated. You may have flooded the engine with all the pumping on the gas pedal. ! pump should have been sufficient if the tune was correct. Let things cool down, and air out and try again. Make sure the choke is working.

The only way the starter can crank with the key off is if the Solinoid is stuck. Smack it and see if it still cranks when you hook up the cables, I would replace the solinoid even if it breaks free as the points in it are probubly shot.