car kicking out of 3rd gear.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem. I had the problem with my factory shifter before i changed it.. Mine pops out when shifting into 3rd at 30-35mph or when I let off the gas at the same speed. My buddy is a ford tech and said the is a tsb out it. I had it looked at and it would do it at the dealer.

stangGT97 said:
if you installed stops on your shifter, remove them - the T-45 has stops built in already. An improperly adjusted stop could be the easy fix for this problem.
No, the 3650 has them built in, the t-45 does not. Remove them for a 3650 car. And BTW the original poster needs to adjust his shift stops out more.

Venom_Nitrous said:
No, the 3650 has them built in, the t-45 does not. Remove them for a 3650 car. And BTW the original poster needs to adjust his shift stops out more.

tremec built T-45's have the stops built in.. if you have early borg built unit that will not have them.

From you are describing you could have a shift fork problem or even stripped smashed theeth on your third gear.

romgolferman said:
i thought it was the stops too but i adjusted them out and it wasnt it. how do i check the shift fork?

see once the damage done by misadjusted stops is done it will pop out even after you adjust them back.. It's too late to remove the stops now.

What happens is when the stops is adjusted wrong the tranny pops out.. Even one time poping out can cause the shift fork to bend becuase of the high stress load transfered to the fork when this happens.. So now you go and remove the stops or adjust them out of the way, but the damage is already done.

You will need to have the forks replaced this requires disassebly of the trans, so you can either get a used trans or rebuild this one. There is no way to test the forks or check them, you would have to disassemble the trans for that.

SilverBullet00 said:
How can you tell if you have a tremic or Borg built T-45?

I think it was mid way thru 1998 model year the switch was made.. all 99-01.5 gts have the tremec T-45, 01.5- current gt's have the tremec t-3650...

JRFlurry114 said:
I have the same problem but its with 4th gear... drives me nuts. i have a steeda tri-ax and all the "stops" are adjusted right. it really sux!!:bang:

having them adjusted right means they are not touching anything at all. so you might as well not use them.. Put it this way.. They can cause damage if you use them, and not using them causes no damage..

If you already are popping out of gear then you in for a expensive repair :(