Car smeels like Pan Cake Syrup...Heater core problems.

two_stangs

Jan 3, 2004
AZ
Car smells like pan cake syrup when turn the heater core on. This and the click, pop, hiss when I turn it off is a sign of the Heater core going out right???

But I live in San Diego and am moving to Arizona. So I really don't need HEAT in these climates. Nor have I used it until I read a post about what it does when it goes bad. And guess what...It's going bad. I found the info to bypass it temporaraly but can I use that permanently??? And remove the heater core. In the tech center it says I can connect the heater hoses by the firewall to bypass it. Can I leave it like that and remove the heater core inside???

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of places (like where I live) don't even have safety inspections - so it's not universal. However, even in SanDiego and AZ, it'll get chilly sometimes, and the first time you try to defrost your windshield and can't because you have no heat, you'll regret taking out the core. Bypass it to get by for a few months, but before the fall, yes, even in AZ, replace the core so you'll at least have a defroster.

I bypassed the heatercore on my beater, regret it already. As said, no defrost, and when it starts to fog up...

The popping and hissing might be a vaccume leak under the dash, but otherwise it just makes the noise, it is the shutters moving, nothing to do with the core. That annoying smell may be a sign it is leaking somewhere. Heater core R&R is a PITA job.

No offence, but you don't seem to really know that much about the HVAC system, you might want to take it to a shop to have it checked out.

It's not leaking by the firewall or into the passanger side so I'm not too worried. It only makes the sounds when it is being turned on or off.

It's just the smell. But the smell goes away after a minute or two.

haha, thats funny that you said that because mine was doing the same thing. yes you can bypass the heater core permanently with the setup you have. but it wouldnt be worth bypassing it permanently and than removing the heater core, you might as well replace it if you go through all that trouble. its really not a hard job, i did it and had never seen or known anyone who would do it. and who said something about not passing safety inspection without a heater core? i know north carolina doesnt check your heater core to see if it works, they could care less...we dont even check to see if the seat belts work or if there are any. but yeah, you can just leave it like that, but if you change the heater core make sure you clean out the heater box really well. i didnt clean it out at all because i couldnt get the box far enough from the wall to do it and everytime i turn my heat on it smells like syrup for a few minutes. i might just bypass mine permanently because i think its leaking again. ill just wear a big jacket in the winter...haha

when you last had your cooling system serviced, was it first thing in the morning and was the mechanic kinda fat with sticky fingers and food on his shirt? that could explain the smell. :)

i would wait till it starts leaking.............as Michael said, you might get cold in AZ. while lows are seldom below freezing in Southern AZ in the winter, the fact that you have to have your windows rolled down to keep the windshield clear does suck. this is rare, as the dewpoint at 30* F will be like -100*. LOL.

what part of AZ are you moving to? if it is north of Phoenix, you will want heat for sure. Prescott and Flag get super-dooper cold.

I'll be moving to Chandler or Gilbert. South East of Phoenix. Really nice weather. I was there last winter and was driving around with the convertible top down at 10pm at night.

Every stang i have owned has had the heater core go bad. Must be bad luck i guess.
The best way to test for a bad heater core is turn your controls to off. Then put your fan on highest setting. Turn controls to vent. If heater core is bad you will get a big or small (depending on how bad it is) puff of white smoke out of the vents. Hope that helps any more questions email me at [email protected]

two_stangs said:
I'll be moving to Chandler or Gilbert. South East of Phoenix. Really nice weather. I was there last winter and was driving around with the convertible top down at 10pm at night.
sounds good. you really dont need the heater too much, except on winter mornings (it does get cold, especially if your blood thins out from being in the heat).

ten o'clock is the only time to drive around in the greater Phoenix area. LOL. (traffic and heat wise). good luck. (as you know, Chandler and Gilbert are both nice and new - and a little ways from PHX). and i think they may have that new freeway done.