Car won't stay lit

gibson89LX

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Brunswick, OH
I just did an oil change on the GT today and re-oiled the air filter. I put everything back together and now it'll crank over run for a half second and then die. If you keep pumping the throttle it'll kick up to 3500-4500 like normal so I'm not quite sure what it is...
It's not throwing a code or anything and I only get a CEL after it stalls. The only thing I disconnected was the MAF to swivel the piping out and I reconnected it afterwards :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

This is absolutely 99% likely to be IAC. Give it a couple taps with a long handled screw driver.

Also, the newly oiled air filter probably contaminated your MAF which now needs to be cleaned as well.

After you correct those two things, reset PCM and you should be good to go :nice:

Kilgore Trout said:
This is absolutely 99% likely to be IAC. Give it a couple taps with a long handled screw driver.

Also, the newly oiled air filter probably contaminated your MAF which now needs to be cleaned as well.

After you correct those two things, reset PCM and you should be good to go :nice:
Hmm, I thought about the IAC, I used to have huge problems with it on the '89. I'll check that.
I don't know, I let the filter gum up for a good while... What do you suggest for cleaning it? Spray-alcohol? I haven't had a MAF car before, my cars have always been SD or had VAF. I reset the PCM before, I'll just do it again after I've done this. Thanks for the info :nice: