Caution when upgrading brakes...

mrshl13

Jan 13, 2004
...from 94-98 GT or V6 to Cobra PBR front brakes or 99-up GT PBR brakes.

Get the right banjo bolts. I pieced my own kit together and wasn't told by any of the vendors that the banjo bolts were different. So I put the Cobra calipers and rotors on. Then I started cranking in the GT banjo bolt (10mm 1.5 thread pitch) and it was very difficult to get in. It never went tight enough to keep from leaking so I took it all off and my friend noticed the thread pitch was different. None of the auto parts stores or Ford dealerships around carry the right bolts (10mm by 1.0 tp). So I ordered some from Discbrakesrus and tried them last night.

Well the passenger side caliper's threads pretty much came right out when I tightened the bolt. I never got that far into the driver's side caliper so it's ok.

Since nobody seems to sell a driver's-side-only caliper but Ford (and that's more than I can get a set of calipers from Stangstore for) I had to order a set of calipers. I initially saved money by piecing together my own kit but now I'm spending more than I would have to just buy a kit conmplete with bolts.

Lesson learned: get the banjo bolts too.

Public service announcement over. Anybody want a single driver's side Cobra caliper w/ pads? Maybe a stripped passenger-side you can practice tapping?

• Sponsors (?)