clunking from rear

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
guys sorry i have posted about this once before but never found out what it was. i was wondering if anyone had any new info that might help me.

so i got a built rear put in last year. (axles, posi, gears) when im driving and go over bumps or pot holes i get a pretty loud clunk from the rear.

its just one or 2 quick clunks as i hit the hole or bump, its not a rattle.

had it ever since the rear was done. is there anything you can think of that could have been done wrong or went bad in the rear that would cause this?

starting to upset me...thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you put the rear of the stang on ramps, climb under there and cinch up all the bolts? I had a "clunking" which I found were the upper UCA bolts not quite tight enough, but could be anti-sway bar bolts, LCA etc..

well i never hear a clunk when i get in. i did push down on the back bumper hard enough consecutivly to make the car bounce up and pretty good.....no clunking? only when im driving. i dont know the dynamics of the car good enough to know what this eliminates from what is still in play to be a possible cause of the prob.

anyway, i will get under there and tighten all the bolts up...i wish that was the problem. so no idea about if the rear posi unit or sxles could cause this noise if somthing is wrong with them?

ADRENLN said:
well i never hear a clunk when i get in. i did push down on the back bumper hard enough consecutivly to make the car bounce up and pretty good.....no clunking? only when im driving. i dont know the dynamics of the car good enough to know what this eliminates from what is still in play to be a possible cause of the prob.

anyway, i will get under there and tighten all the bolts up...i wish that was the problem. so no idea about if the rear posi unit or sxles could cause this noise if somthing is wrong with them?

Yeah same thing I would try and bouce the car like you did but still no clunk and just like you it only happens when driveing.

well i tried to check things out a bit today. there wasnt much that i could see making noise. when i hit the rear sway bar real hard it made some noise but only it i hit it on the drivers side, other side didnt make any noise.

also the plastic gas tank cover on the drivers side was making noise when i hit it. however, niether of these sound like the one im hearing while driving. the driving one sounds more like a heavy metal objust being droped on metal. (clank) these are more plastic sounding but who knows. im gonna have to drive it again and listen closer.

only other thing i can see it being is actually somthing inside the rear:shrug:
that is my worry. i dont know about any mounts though....guess its possible.

ADRENLN said:
well i tried to check things out a bit today. there wasnt much that i could see making noise. when i hit the rear sway bar real hard it made some noise but only it i hit it on the drivers side, other side didnt make any noise.

also the plastic gas tank cover on the drivers side was making noise when i hit it. however, niether of these sound like the one im hearing while driving. the driving one sounds more like a heavy metal objust being droped on metal. (clank) these are more plastic sounding but who knows. im gonna have to drive it again and listen closer.

I wouldn't assume the worst at this point - most of the time it's the simplist solution that works. Did you actually take a wrench and tighten down the bolts under there (including and especially the upper UCA bolts and anti-sway). When I had "rattling/bumping" type of noises, I wouldn't have thought that it would have made much of a difference, but it did. I'm talking only 1/8-1/4 of a turn on some of the bolts, and all the noise went away for me. Note, nothing was loose or moved around for me either. Worth a try if you didn't do it already.

ADRENLN said:

Yup, mine also sounds like a metal object being dropped on metal. I have done everything you have and still can't find the problem. I hit my exhaust, gas tank, shocks you name it, it won't do it unless I'm driving. Something else strange happens when my car is off after driving. I will hear a strange clunk/pop from my rear every once in a while. It doesn't sound like a normal car cooling down. Also when I go to back up a slight incline I will hear something rattling around. This all has to do with the loud clunk thing. None of this happed before I bottomed out bad. My rear hit back in June when I was parking at an airshow. I didn’t see the big dip in the road and something on the rear maybe the pumpkin got slammed to the ground I don’t know but that’s when the sound started for me.

hmmmm? i havent really listened for sounds once the car is turned off, but ill check it out. as far as me bumping my rear, it never happend. all thet happend was the install of new parts and after that i started hearing it.

i wonder if maybe they forgot put some small part back in mine and that same part got knocked loose on yours when you hit? i doubt it but i wonder.:shrug:

well good luck tracking it down. ill let you know if i find anything out. i was just worried about somthing serious going wrong with the build rear blowing up or somthing. the clunking dont really bother me too much it it is nothing serious.

i already have all kinds of squeeking and banging noises, whats one more as long as it aint bad.:D