Clunking sounds from rear - 2000 GT

Im describing the following because the strange sounds are heard every time during this process: Lately whenever I come home and park my car Ill slow down, push the clutch in and as im turning left at that moment I hear a series of "clunk clunk" sounds coming from the rear or tranny area ... any ideas what this might be? Its very odd..

I recently had the stock clutch replaced due to chattering (new clutch is a centerforce dual friction) but it was making the same clunk sounds with the old clutch so its not related to that.

Any ideas appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I hope you find out man, I am having the exact same problems, went from stock to a spec clutch...hated that then went to the DF centerforce and I am in the same boat. Some folks have told me to use a firewall adjuster for my clutch but I don't know if that would solve anything

I might have the same noise. I have a knocking noise that sound like it comes from the rear when i turn. I was having some rear end issues and while trying to figure that out, I found out I had the wrong "shims" in there. There was like 5 or 6 skinny ones on each side, when i guess the factory part is one big shim. I have not heard the noise since.

Damn! I hear the same clunking sounds exactly when IM turning left into my driveway? The car just got an alghment and the tech had no problems, or didnt report any parts to be replaced. I also just had a clutch and new flywheel installed less than 200 Miles ago, and I asked the guy to check everything under there to make sure it was tight. Now the sound to me appears to be coming directly below me, somewhere around the tranny area? But after the clutch install and it still does it. If you find out what it is, please post up, seems there are a couple of us with the same clunk.

same sound here, only it's during a slow right turn into the garage...

it's been there with 2 different clutch assys, stock and aftermarket LCAs and before and after the gears were swapped and all the rear end bearings replaced... :shrug:

Wow so i'm not the only one and yea its only really noticeable when im going real slow and turning. I forgot to mention something else before, the engine RPM is affected during these clunks, it almost dies then goes back to a normal idle... (?)

There was a TSB issued for the differential fluid requiring a friction modifier. I don't know what the TSB number was, but I took my car to a ford dealership, they replaced the gear oil and added friction modifier and it was all good.

Make sure you check their work, though. I later found oil leaking from the under the differential cover... it seems the Ford monkeys put a ****ty seal of RTV on it.

Possibly the traction lock differential.

That's a good possibility. Go to a parking lot and drive in several tight clockwise circles, then in several counter-clockwise circles. That will make the clutch disks slip in the differential, and might make it quiet down. If the noise is noticable after or while doing that, you might then try changing the differential fluid and adding some good limited-slip friction modifier as well, which you can get from your local ford dealer.

I use royal purple fluid in the rear end...that cool?? I would think so

Nothing wrong with it but you still need the friction modiier. synthetic is "slipperier" than dino oil, which can change how the clutch disks slip and when they break free to allow one wheel to turn more than the other. The ford limited slip clutch is very weak overall and will slip one wheel far more than you might expect.

Just thought I'd update this thread, I finally got around to having the rear end fluid changed on my 00 GT, they used synthetic oil + modifier and the clunking sounds are now gone! its only been one day but before I could always get the sound to occur and today I couldn't at all, also I had the transmission fluid changed (synthetic) and now my 2nd gear doesn't grind anymore either so that was a big bonus (it was getting to the point of grinding during normal driving) The car has 68,000 miles on it and it's probably the first time either fluid has been changed. even the service station commented on the old tranny fluid saying it was in bad shape.

I was about to tell you that it will be back lol.
I had the noise in my car for a couple of years. since then I had the entire rear end rebuilt, eaton posi, 31 spline axles, all seals and bearings swapped, even calipers and hand brake lines. noise is still there, even with two different fluids. had synthetic in, and regular dyno oil now both with friction modifier...
my next "upgrade"
will be new engine and tranny mounts, because to me the sound seems to indicate lots of wobble in the drive train. we'll see I guess lol.

I was about to tell you that it will be back lol.
I had the noise in my car for a couple of years. since then I had the entire rear end rebuilt, eaton posi, 31 spline axles, all seals and bearings swapped, even calipers and hand brake lines. noise is still there, even with two different fluids. had synthetic in, and regular dyno oil now both with friction modifier...
my next "upgrade"
will be new engine and tranny mounts, because to me the sound seems to indicate lots of wobble in the drive train. we'll see I guess lol.