Clutch Upgrade

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
My engine is coming out to have the block decked. Good time for a clutch upgrade. My current clutch is stock style I'm pretty sure but not the original. Based on the specs in my sig, what is a decent clutch to go with? I'm not out to spend any more than I need but something worthy of my combo is in order.

• Sponsors (?)

RAM powergrip HD. basically 1-2 steps above a stock disc/plate setup is all you'll need. You do not want to go overboard with it. You want the clutch to be weaker than the trans,etc and be the "fuse" in the drivetrain. Lot cheaper to have to replace them than the trans. Plus keep the pedal pressure down a little. Firm is nice...too firm sucks!

Reactions: 2 users
Also same block as before? I thought you got that fixed. I know it's easy for me to say..but why not jump into a block upgrade also? You can turn the wick up as hard as you want and not have to fight "stock block syndrome" anymore.

Thanks for the recommendation. I swear at times I felt the stock clutch slip. Sometimes when getting on it in second gear its hard to tell if its tires or clutch that was slipping. Probably both.

This is the first time I've come to the conclusion the block deck is the issue. No problems with any other part of the bottom end. No excessive oil consumption or plug fouling. Always had fantastic oil pressure. I want to milk this factory 302 for all its worth. If I have to pull it again in the future and go all out, no problem. My labor is free to me. Gonna deck it, get Cometic gaskets to compensate for head and block milling and slap it all back together. Prolly toss in a new oil pimp and timing chain. Love the stock cam with 1.7 roller rockers so sticking with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes unfortunately I have had issues with my head gaskets. I put a couple of cometics and some new colder plugs and I haven't had any issues so far. I see 12 13 lbs of boost through it on a nice third gear run so I know somethings getting a workout I. The ol 306. I will be going to a with some 60lb injectors whenever my bro @84Ttop gets some time... but yeah clutch. I'm using a centerforce clutch and have no issues

sent from my butt pocket

Ive been down that road...damn head gaskets!....mine was a warped head,got it decked,i used felpro mls gaskets,and lowerd my boost to 5-7psi for this summer,got a good tune and my car has been running great!

Next summer im going to try 10psi again...

Recently in the last year you, @elarm1 and @smkshw all went with Vortech superchargers and all 3 of you have had head gasket issues. What's the deal? @84Ttop ? I thougnt this was a tried and true 'bolt on kit'. I followed each of the builfd and they appeared well done. I hope decking your block is the answer for you.
I haven't had the time to peruse the entire thread here but blown head gaskets aren't uncommon effects of increased cylinder pressure. This would apply to plenty of power adder combinations. Good bolts, good gaskets and good mating surfaces are the keys to keeping the head gaskets in one piece. Hell, I've put head gaskets on my car more than a few times. Don't discount the other guys here without issues and making good power. I would hate to jinx anyone by tagging them though lol

Its all a learning process. Boost is a different animal and everything has to be right before getting into boost. I feel I had other issues that contributed to my failures but only thing you can do is rebuild and make it stronger!

Reactions: 1 users