Fox Coast High Performance 408 Throws A Bearing After 10 Months, 900 Miles... How To Proceed...

• Sponsors (?)

And a metal thingy.
download.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
What was the update here? Im in the same boat, new CHP built motor 1k miles dead. They let the car sit there for a month, promised every other day they were going to pull the motor and inspect, but then called and said sorry for the delay, it will be done the next day... two days later they call and say their friends shop can pull and inspect the motor and my transmission for $1800 cash...

I immediately had my car towed back home after a month of these games from them.

I went local, I went with everything new they recommended. I did everything right and still got screwed.

Last edited:
What was the update here? Im in the same boat, new built motor 1k miles dead. They let the car sit there for a month, promised every other day they were going to pull the motor and inspect, but then called and said sorry for the delay, it will be done the next day... two days later they call and say their friends shop can pull and inspect the motor and my transmission for $1800 cash...

I immediately had my car towed back home after a month of these games from them.

I went local, I went with everything new they recommended. I did everything right and still got screwed.

Small claims court.

What was the update here? Im in the same boat, new built motor 1k miles dead. They let the car sit there for a month, promised every other day they were going to pull the motor and inspect, but then called and said sorry for the delay, it will be done the next day... two days later they call and say their friends shop can pull and inspect the motor and my transmission for $1800 cash...

You still used a shop.

It doesn't matter where you go anymore, you will be at the mercy of a shop. Choosing the right shop always comes down to the same variables:
A.If the shop you choose will do the work, do it on time, and do it right. It won't be cheap. Nor will it be quick.
B. If the shop you choose is filthy, with all kinds of other projects with piles of their respective parts stacked on top of bare blocks,..but the price is right...walk away.

I've said it before.. ( probably here) The only way to get one of these places to do what they say they'll do, and then do it is a clear set of rules laid out before you ever enter into an agreement. As long as I've been doing this sht, and knowing several "A" shops,...I still chose the B shop.
Because im impatient.
And in return for that I got a engine that was improperly machined the day I picked it up. After discovery, that same shop attempted to fix their work with sleeves that were too big, and the block failed.
After a year.
Yet, despite that lesson, I seek out another shop to do work on the new motor,...and they do inferior work..I have yet to check it, but they did the valves on my new head, ( need to leak test the valves) resurfaced the head on a belt sander, which could've been catastrophic had they went too far, and had to pay a different shop to correct that.

Bottom line is that its a crap shoot..a mass production shop may have missed something, a local shop may employ redneck yeahoos because they're kin folk. They're all like a box of chocolates
You never know what your gonna get till you bite.

Mini update for anyone thinking about using CHP.

Ive got a stock used 90k mile motor dropped in, with the same trans, same tune, same torque converter, same fuel injectors/coils, same oil cooler, I didnt use the same upgraded flexplate.. I went with the OEM stock one at the recommendation of ArtCarrs Transmission that inspected the flexplates and trans. Just no benefit for my use case. I did since i had so much time on my hands, redo all the fuel injector and sparkplug connectors on the engine wiring harness .

No overheating on the freeway on a cold night the like the custom shortblock did. almost 2000 miles now in but it feels stronger then the racing engine I had built. See if I can magically kill the thrust bearing with all my powers combined. She rips through 2nd gear, feels like a beast. Im pretty convinced it was something with the build of that short block, but time will tell.

I had everything tested, stock engine installed the issue was CHP and their block/assemble/install. CHP did not even lift a finger 6 months later.

It ran abnormally HOT from day one on cold nights with 70mph freeway winds hitting it (on top of the fact my fans tuning parameters are way over kill) I know i have zero cooling issues, and this stock shortblock shows the massive differences in temps from their build and a stock build from 2005.

Im not an engine guy at all, I can show the pictures and just tell what ive seen/been told.

It looks like the bearings spun, ate the thrust, until the crank was walking so bad it was about to come part after 1000 miles.

Without seeing or looking at anything CHP was sure it was my transmission making super pressure suddenly for their racing block. Which was not the case. Then they were sure it was the tune. I think they are holding on to it was the tune, but im running the same tune now with the stock used block.

This is what my dyno tuner said (awesome shop and guys):
I’ve reviewed the dyno results and my datalogs from that day and the tuning was set up fairly conservative. During the dyno pull, it was getting peak timing advance of 14.5-degrees and the air/fuel ratio during the pull was .78 to .82 Lambda with 7.99-psi boost. Looking at the light-load datalog, there was no issue with the short-term or long-term fuel trim or the O2 sensors. It was not running rich. Also, it’s important to note that with Ford OEM electronic fuel injection, if the car was running rich as CHP has suggested, it would have set diagnostic trouble codes such as P0172 and P0175. The system is designed to monitor and adjust the fuel trim. If the fuel trims get too far outside factory spec, it will set codes. In the datalog you sent, the O2 sensors, short-term and long-term fuel trim values look okay.

Pictures of the tear down:
View: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qr-iQ8JOowHXutWTM25iG-PVhvftMcTB

Pictures of engine/trans/tc/flexplate tear down: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OfrWljuB2bEmYXIjF3PlVCRn_ruE8Fm5
Video of the Transmission Dyno run:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15L1Xxc0otxpOJgR4X_Eq7rjFYju1LWbM/view

PDF of oil reports: https://prnt.sc/s2bpby