Code 96 Symptoms

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Trouble code 96 - fuel pump high speed relay open.

I was wondering what actual symptoms can be from a condition that causes trouble code 96. I had this code come up in a scan. I thought the code 96 might have set because I had the harness unplugged at the inertia switch while cranking the engine during other work.

Anyway, I cleared the code and drove around normally for a few days and dumped the codes again. Code 96 came back. The only noticeable thing wrong is the engine will stall sometimes when I push the clutch in to slow down for a stop. Always starts back up and drives normal.

I went ahead and changed the relay. I actually swapped it with the AC WOT cutoff relay. I drove around for 30 mins and dumped the codes again. All clear and no codes after that drive. Again though, stalls when pushing in clutch to slow down for a stop occasionally. I'll drive more and keep checking codes.

But for now, let's say it was the relay causing the code. Is it unusual that the car would seem to run normal with a 96 high speed fuel pump relay open?

What actual noticeable symptoms will happen from conditions that trigger code 96?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the car a mass air swapped 1986-1988? If so, nobody ran the fuel pump monitor wire from ECU to the pump relay under the seat.

Add one wire and you are done.

Its a 92 original MAF car, not swapped so the FPM wire is there. I will check it for a short. So, what exactly does the FPM do? What is it monitoring for and what does it do with the information it gets?