Come tell me about your floor jacks...

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys, im gonna make the plunge and invest in a NICE floor jack. Im sick of messing around with these cheap POS floor jacks.

So, tell me about yours. Weight capacity, saddle height, etc. My car is lowered a little so thats an issue. Although i dont have a body kit.

What size do you guys recommend? I dont want to have to buy another jack after this for a long long long time so i want to make sure i make the RIGHT decision.

thanks guys:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

At1Maverick69 said:
bought mine from my Mac tools guys at work, it's a 2 ton and it's the one u can use on lowered cars, got some stands with it too, JSA26020 number off their catalog, I think here's a link, got mine for $200.00, but that was an "on sale" price..http://mactools.com/content/ecatalog/SE_Section_2004_MT_Catalog.pdf#page=12

Never mind, i see its 3 3/4". Do you think a 4.5" would work? Or is yours pretty close? Is your car lowered?

1 ton = 2,000 lbs right? So a 2-ton would be able to lift the whole car...if u could actually have a lift point to do so right? I just dont want to have to worry about "upgrading" again to use this on my mustang, or a sedan or a truck if i get one in the future. Know what i mean?

Keep it comin guys!

Craftsman makes an aluminum floor jack, one and two tons versions for close to $175 and $200, respectively. I don't own one, but if I was interested in picking one up that's where I would start. They seem to be quality pieces. A buddy of mine that races late model oval track cars has a Snap On aluminum race jack, two pumps and the car is 2 feet in the air! Very cool product, but I imagine it wasn't cheap.

legalize420gt95 said:
as far as it being lowered, try driving up on some 2x4's. should give you enough clearence to get to the k-member.

When the car isnt running...thats not a possibility. But i guess i could use the smaller jacks to lift it up a little if that was an issue. Then carryon on with the big one.:shrug:

idk if you guys have costco's around you (wholesale stores) but they have some nice tools there sometimes....2 years ago we got my dad a 3 ton floor jack from them for $90....this thing is built like a rock, and has really held up well....otherwise i'd look into a craftsman jack....cant go wrong there:D

That's what I got about ~8mos to 1 yr ago (Craftsman). Sears had a special with a 3 ton floor jack and nice stands for around $100 (give or take, I can't remember the exact price). The jack say's it's a high lift (6" to 21") so it might be a little tall to fit under your Mustang. I just use a smaller jack to lift it a little and then get the big puppy under there. I use it for all our company's trucks too (F-350, F-250, F-150 and Expedition). I'm sure the aluminum ones are much lighter, but they are also always more expensive. I really like the jack stands that came with this jack though. They are built like the proverbial poophouse (they handle 3 tons each!). The stands are really a must for me. I've risked working on something with just a jack and wooden blocks or whatever too many times and I just don't like taking that risk anymore. Older = Wiser :D (I like to think so anyway). So, think about some good ramps/stands to go with the jack also. I had a little 1 1/2 ton floor jack that I bought for like $25-30 from K-mart about 7-8 yrs ago and it finally gave up last year. For the money, it was not too bad. But, it got to where it would go up fine, but then would start to leak back down instead of holding in place. It would not lift as high as my new one does though. Good Luck Nate.

Phil

Yea guys see thats my problem....all the jacks i have bought have worn out and either lift up and cant lift the car, or they leak back down. The last one i bought was a 2 1/4 ton i believe from murrays...it wasnt THAT cheap...i mean it was probably 60-70 bucks.

I already have a set of jack stands so im good there. Looks like i will go and look around at a couple places. See who has the best price:nice:

i have a 3-1/2 ton floor jack. Got it at cosco. I believe it was 80 or 90. Its called an Arcane. Its pretty nice, lifts high/fast, and takes very little effort. It just barely slides under the front of my 03, with the chin spoiler on the cobras, its pretty low in the front.

nmcgrawj said:
Never mind, i see its 3 3/4". Do you think a 4.5" would work? Or is yours pretty close? Is your car lowered?

1 ton = 2,000 lbs right? So a 2-ton would be able to lift the whole car...if u could actually have a lift point to do so right? I just dont want to have to worry about "upgrading" again to use this on my mustang, or a sedan or a truck if i get one in the future. Know what i mean?

Keep it comin guys!

yup my cars are lowered ( 90 and the 94) and the jack goes underneath just fine, a little close under the 90 since I have a GT, so I kinda get creative and swing it till I can get it underenath and be able to pump it up too, kind of a challenge, LOL.....:SNSign: