Convertible top is leaking

triggz

Founding Member
May 15, 2002
Gadsden, AL
So I've been hearing some water sloshing around in the back the past few days with the rain, I get back in the back seat today and discover a pool in the leather top receptacle :(

Where the glass meets the canvas in the corner on the outside, it has pulled away enough to make a small channel for water running off the glass to flow into.

My brown top is nasty looking as it is, there's a cig burn from some jackass in the side and the glass is starting to tear away from the material its on at the top.. How much am I looking at for a full replacement? The interior layer and hydraulics of the top are fine.. I just need new canvas.

Who's had theirs replaced? Will insurance cover it (like a windshield)?

• Sponsors (?)

Comprehensive will cover acts of nature or vandalism. Do you anticipate that happening? :rlaugh:

Anyways, I believe that you can get a new vinyl top installed for only about $400-500 as long as they can re-use the rear window and roof liner that you have. Sadly though, it sounds like your rear window has seperated and cannot be re-used. I believe they are $350 installed.

A canvas top would be about twice as much, installed.

Call the Lincoln Mercury dealer in your town and ask them who they use for convertible top work. Then go there and get an estimate.

Kilgore Trout said:
Comprehensive will cover acts of nature or vandalism. Do you anticipate that happening? :rlaugh:

Well, my top is vandalized already with a cigerette burn. I wonder if that can get me full new top? I could probably get the bodyshop to work with me and say they cant re-use the rear glass because its worn out and get a new glass..