coolant leaking! Ready to burn car!!!

motley

Jan 19, 2004
well i did a cam swap from stock to a TFS stage 1 and coolant was leaking from around where the timing cover meets the block by the cooling ports. pull it all apart reasemble and now the piece of S!@# has a constat stream of coolant running out the bottom of the front seal. I'm ready to burn this SOB to the ground! help me please???

• Sponsors (?)

"I'm ready to burn this SOB to the ground! help me please???"

I believe you'll find if you loosen a fuel line/fitting from the gas tank so that it leaks a bit of gas, and toss a match underneath once some has puddled, that will set it off quite nicely. :)

Seriously, no secret trick to stopping leaks. New gaskets, be sure everything is surgically clean, apply the appropriate gasket dressing, be sure all the bolts are evenly tightened to the right torque in the right pattern -- using this approach I've never had a gasketed surface leak on me.

When you say 'running out the bottom of the front seal' - you mean the crankshaft seal? If so, it sounds like you might have filled up the crankcase with coolant - which isn't good at all. If that's the case, be sure you drain the oil/coolant before cranking things up.

sirsureshot39 said:
Describe where its leaking out from. Did u use any type of sealnt or RTV on the gasket?

I used rtv on both sides of the water pump gasket and the timing chain cover gasket. I looks like it is coming out of the crankshaft seal. I don't understand why coolant would be coming out there. The coolant starts to run out before the car is even started. I noticed it while filling up the radiator.

I really dont see how it leaking out your crankseal, my bet is that its still leaking from the waterpump and ONTO the crank near the seal. Was it dry before u put coolant into it?

motley said:
yes.

it was also dry when i did everything.

If that's the case then my guess is that you neglected to connect the hose that goes onto the rear passenger's side of the lower intake and it's running down the block and only 'looks' like it's coming from the seal. That line from the intake goes to the throttle body spacer. It flows freely when you attempt to fill the radiator; even with the engine off.

daggar - wouldn't that likely run down the rear of the block - and not look like it's coming out the front crank seal?

BTW - thanks for the firing order gif in the other thread; really cool. I added another black line to set off the 5.0 order, cut it out, and used tape to make it look like a factory decal under the hood. And the red color matches my 'splash of red' under-hood color scheme. Now that I've stolen the thread....

It looks like it must be leaking between the where the timing cover meets the block; and running inside of the timing cover and dripping off the botom of the hump on the oil pan. I'll tear it apart, reassemble, and see what happens.

Michael Yount said:
daggar - wouldn't that likely run down the rear of the block - and not look like it's coming out the front crank seal?

You're probably right. His description brought up flashbacks of things I've left errrr... I mean... my buddy left undone. hehehe

That's just what came to mind when he said it was pouring out during the fill up.