Cowl hoods

• Sponsors (?)

cowl hoods are ghey if you dont need them.....
I think 2 inch cowls look good but yes I agree a 4" is ugly not to mention impeding visibility.

3" is definitley pushing it but I need the clearance and that's the only one they have. I'm probably going to put spacer in there to raise my intake off of the valve cover too. I don't know if it's the AFR's that make them so close but it's annoying.

My biggest beef with Boss inc so far is I called customer service and spoke with Ted. No offense to Ted but this is the rep they show on their website and I'd much rather talk to her.

View attachment 209047

I demand a partial refund on the hood.

Anyone here have a picture of the Boss Inc Cowl hood on their car? Their picture gallery is empty and I'd really like to see the difference between theirs and a traditional "narrower" cowl hood.

Also...realistically, do any of these fiberglass hoods actually work with the factory hood latch? I've seen plenty of them claim as much, but look like they're holding on for dear life at highway speeds. I'd really like to avoid hood pins to maintain a "stock" appearing look.

Cowl hoods are god damn american

The other nice thing about the boss stuff is that the 3.25'' hood has as much clearance as a 4" in the
middle of the hood, so i was able to clear my box-r intake.

Also, ive been running a glass hood for about 5 or 6 years now and the only time ive had a problem with it coming up is when i forgot to latch it down at the race track, and even then as soon as i shifted 2nd the hood came up and was stopped by the saftey latch. If the hood is reinforced in the latch area you wont have a problem with it flying up and destroying your car, thats assuming that your saftey latch works right and no operator error is involved

Attachments

• 44376_427691279825_631529825_4639424_5335712_n.jpg
    44376_427691279825_631529825_4639424_5335712_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 121
Anyone here have a picture of the Boss Inc Cowl hood on their car? Their picture gallery is empty and I'd really like to see the difference between theirs and a traditional "narrower" cowl hood.

Also...realistically, do any of these fiberglass hoods actually work with the factory hood latch? I've seen plenty of them claim as much, but look like they're holding on for dear life at highway speeds. I'd really like to avoid hood pins to maintain a "stock" appearing look.

thats cause they are, all companies i have seen require hood pins

Not true at all, like i said before, i ve run a fiberglass hood for years, no pins no problems, even took a front end impact with one and it stayed on fine at 120+mph on the dragstrip, i dont know what this talk of
"holding on for dear life at highway speeds" is, but i know lots of people with cowl hoods, and never seen one fail that wasnt operator error.

Of all the damaged cowl pictures youve seen how many people actually showed a broken hood latch area picture?

Cowl hoods are god damn american

The other nice thing about the boss stuff is that the 3.25'' hood has as much clearance as a 4" in the
middle of the hood, so i was able to clear my box-r intake.

Also, ive been running a glass hood for about 5 or 6 years now and the only time ive had a problem with it coming up is when i forgot to latch it down at the race track, and even then as soon as i shifted 2nd the hood came up and was stopped by the saftey latch. If the hood is reinforced in the latch area you wont have a problem with it flying up and destroying your car, thats assuming that your saftey latch works right and no operator error is involved
Any idea what the weight difference is between the Boss hood and the stock steel one?

Nope...not at all. Cervini's specifically if I recall states the stock latch hardware is to be used with their bold on hoods.

I have seen a couple of "el Cheapo" models (ABC, Mr Bodykit, etc) dance around along the edges where the hood pins are normally placed and the only area's touching flush against the body panels are the 3-points where the hood latch and hinges contact the hood.

Scary stuff when you're running 100mph+ down the track, or on the highway. :eek:

Not true at all, like i said before, i ve run a fiberglass hood for years, no pins no problems, even took a front end impact with one and it stayed on fine at 120+mph on the dragstrip, i dont know what this talk of
"holding on for dear life at highway speeds" is, but i know lots of people with cowl hoods, and never seen one fail that wasnt operator error.

Of all the damaged cowl pictures youve seen how many people actually showed a broken hood latch area picture?

I didnt say you needed to have pins to put them on the car, but the warranty for the companies all require hood pins. Road courses require hood pins on all fiber glass hoods. And some classes require them on everything.

Here's Cervini's warranty. From what I read if the hood is altered ie....HOOD PINS, WILL void the warranty on a none lift off hood.

Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. warrants, to the original purchaser that our products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase on fiberglass parts and a lifetime warranty on all urethane parts. All warranty claims must be shipped back to Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. prepaid with proof of purchase and a description of the defect. It will be up to Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. to replace, credit or repair said defective part. Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. will not be held liable for anything other than replacement of said defective part and will not incur any other costs. This warranty becomes void if Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. products are mis-used, altered, abused or installed improperly. Cervini's Auto Designs Inc. will not be liable for injury or any damages arising directly or indirectly from any defects in its' goods, defective or otherwise. You have specific legal rights with this warranty and may also have special rights that vary from state to state.

I didnt say you needed to have pins to put them on the car, but the warranty for the companies all require hood pins. Road courses require hood pins on all fiber glass hoods. And some classes require them on everything.

http://www.cervinis.com/files/File/Cervinis_2008 CATALOG.pdf

Bolt On Hoods

We're developing our reputation one part at a time. Cervini's
is becoming widely known for producing the best quality
fiberglass parts in the industry today. When installing one of
our hoods, take note there is no trimming, cutting or adding
involved to fit the hood properly. We engineer our molds so
precisely that when these hand laid fiberglass hoods are
removed from the mold, they have a perfectly smooth, wave
free surface. Our hoods are easily installed because we retain
the stock hood hinges and latch mechanism, eliminating the
need for hood pins.
Cervini's hoods are manufactured with
a special air craft grade resin that can withstand high under
hood temperatures without damaging the painted surface,
or creating waves in the fiberglass. All our hoods are steel
reinforced around the hinge and latch assembly and are
guaranteed to fit perfect on vehicles with properly aligned
frames and body panels.​

Guess not. :)

I still wouldn't install a fiberglass without hood pins,warranty or not, been there done that, one damaged cowl and a trip into the ditch at 60mph+ was enough.

That and:

"All our hoods are steel
frames and body panels."

Certainly does not apply to any of the wrecks I've owned. :rolleyes:

I still wouldn't install a fiberglass without hood pins,warranty or not, been there done that, one damaged cowl and a trip into the ditch at 60mph+ was enough.

That and:

"All our hoods are steel
frames and body panels."

Certainly does not apply to any of the wrecks I've owned. :rolleyes:

:nice: i agree completely, i wouldnt run ANY hood without hood pins

I've lost a hood on the freeway, 3" cowl, trashed my cowl area, wipers and arms, and cracked the windshield.... hood pind for me no matter what the brand. Oddly though, i don't use hood pind on my ram air cervini hood on my 03 chevy 2500hd! That hood just closed and felt better than any hood I've had on my fox. I think the mechanism ford used has a lot to do with our hoods flying off. It's pretty weak compared to new vehicles.