Engine Crank no start 99 gt 4.6l supercharged. Advice needed

BromandoGT99

Feb 2, 2020
Carson City Nevada
Crank no start. I have fuel pressure already checked that. Obd scanner read a p0606. Im at a loss i dont know if i should replace the pcm. Had a crank no start before took to mechanic they had the keys re made and that got it to start apparently. Havent had any issues til now went to fill up at the gas station and wouldnt start. Need help for sure thanks bless

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
Do you have a dongle or tuning device with a copy of the modified tune the EEC’s running ?
Have you verified no spark at the Coil?
EEC failure is rare, more likely wiring, or power supplying it. Do a thorough check of your electrical system.
Check the ground(s) from the battery terminal to your EEC, Chassis, block-leave the.terminal(S) disconnected for an hour or so while carefully searching for and correcting shorted wires, melted wires, substandard or corroded terminations. Pull apart plugs & the covers on all your fuse blocks &
look for water entry, or corrosion, fuses.
Use an ohmmeter and look for any low resistance paths from the positive cable to chassis ground.
Check your battery voltage. Should have 12.5V+ at the terminals, disconnect both terminals & put it on a low charge setting while you’re cleaning & checking things. If voltage is very low, bring it to get load tested. Check your Alternator wiring, and it’s power wire to the battery, corrosion on the plug, etc..
The fact is your EEC is unable to complete it’s self (readiness) check due to self-fault may only be a poor ground, shorted connections, melted wires, pulling the voltage down too low for the EEC to function properly. Has it been running typically of late?
You mentioned the security system (PATS). Was your security light flashing randomly previous to this, or now & how recently did you have the last issue mentioned? If you have another Key, try it. A decent Scantool should be able to see the EEC code thrown from this.
Good luck!
-John

BromandoGT99

Feb 2, 2020
Carson City Nevada
Hi,
Do you have a dongle or tuning device with a copy of the modified tune the EEC’s running ?
Have you verified no spark at the Coil?
EEC failure is rare, more likely wiring, or power supplying it. Do a thorough check of your electrical system.
Check the ground(s) from the battery terminal to your EEC, Chassis, block-leave the.terminal(S) disconnected for an hour or so while carefully searching for and correcting shorted wires, melted wires, substandard or corroded terminations. Pull apart plugs & the covers on all your fuse blocks &
look for water entry, or corrosion, fuses.
Use an ohmmeter and look for any low resistance paths from the positive cable to chassis ground.
Check your battery voltage. Should have 12.5V+ at the terminals, disconnect both terminals & put it on a low charge setting while you’re cleaning & checking things. If voltage is very low, bring it to get load tested. Check your Alternator wiring, and it’s power wire to the battery, corrosion on the plug, etc..
The fact is your EEC is unable to complete it’s self (readiness) check due to self-fault may only be a poor ground, shorted connections, melted wires, pulling the voltage down too low for the EEC to function properly. Has it been running typically of late?
You mentioned the security system (PATS). Was your security light flashing randomly previous to this, or now & how recently did you have the last issue mentioned? If you have another Key, try it. A decent Scantool should be able to see the EEC code thrown from this.
Good luck!
-John

BromandoGT99

Feb 2, 2020
Carson City Nevada
Nothing i can see as far as water damage or corrosion. The theft light is not flashing, nor does it function in a way that indicates something wrong. I have tried to check spark but ive been told my multiple mechanics that this would require removing the supercharger just to do so...

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
I apologize, should’ve clarified, whether a twin screw, roots, centrifugal FI, limited access won’t prevent access to any of the ignition & Fuel
Since this is a ”Crank, no start” issue, with the EEC indicat potential issues, focusing on the (2) points below in order to establish baseline info. EEC’s fail, but fairly atypical. This Testing will narrow things down, considerably.
~~>Ignition. Correct input to Coils. Pulsed ground trigger from EEC. Correct spark timing..**
~~>Fuel system. Presence, Pressure & flow. Pulse from EEC. Correct injector timing. **
IGNITION:
If you, a friend has a known functional, spare COP, and a spark tester or plug....
1) Pull a COP’s input plug & plug it into the known functional spare with a Spark tester or plug inserted, ground to the block. Have a helper turn it over. Should see a spark. Try a few of them. OR...
Multimeter & a NOID light..
A) Using a NOID light, you should see cyclic ground pulses occurring as light pulses as the engine is being turned over. Then, with a VOM on DCV, test the Voltage inside the connectors with the key On, should be 12VDC.
FUEL SYSTEM:
2) Using a NOID light, test a few (2) pin injector’s plugs as the engine’s being turned over. You should see a flashing light. Then, With a VOM on DCV, 12VDC should be present across the terminals with key On. Try a few, if ok- we’ll move on.
— The pump’s priming as it was previously, you mentioned you’ve taken care of that?
—BTW, L & R rear Areas where Windings seem slightly discolored within Alternator, may be the Pic’s, or misinterpretation on my part.(?)..
.—Just in case the EEC’s in need of a Reflash or replacement, do you have the program the EEC’s been running on a Dongle, Tuner?
—Is your Scantool capable of viewing PID’s (stream live EEC data onscreen), drive cycles, freeze frame, etc
Any questions about anything I’d posted, or if you’re unsure about a process I’d listed, ask away!
God luck
-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C 2016 Mustang V6 will crank but not start 2015+ Specific Tech 2
T Cranks but wont start 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 4
K Engine 89 mustang lx 2.3 Starting problems 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 8
D 95 mustang 5.0 no crank no start, went thru checklist.. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
C Engine Fox engine swap - cranks, fuel, spark and no start! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
M 1985 Mercury Capri 302 5.0L cranks but wont start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S 72 electrical problems (click no crank) Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
M CCRM, PCM, or something else? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 25
P 2003 mustang GT cranks but doesnt start 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
W 1998 v6 3.8l mustang cranks but will not start 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
B Crank no start 99 4.6 . Gets fuel, obd read p0606 not sure to replace pcm SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
B Coolant eruption... car cranks but won’t start... HELP please! SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 5
derek2079 My 67 Stang cranks a while before starting 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
G Sn95 won’t start SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
G Need help with sn95! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
G 96 GT cranking but won’t start SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
Xkuzme1 Cranks, No Start Until Jumped Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
M 2016 EcoBoost dead crank, no start 2015+ Specific Tech 1
D Won’t crank single click 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
G Electrical 91 5.0 swap crank no start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
D 2000 Mustang V6 cranks, no start, and no fuel pressure (BUT has started intermittently) SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
T 2008 V6 Mustang - Cranking but no start on occasion - When engine is warm??? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
S 2006 Mustang Cranks but won't start- 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 2
starstruck106 Car overheated and now it won't turn over - help PLEASE 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 51
R 01 gt motor swap to 00 gt roller crank no start 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
M 06' Cranks but won't start 2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech 3
8 Engine 93 5.0 cranks, wont start. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
C 2001 mustang v6 no crank, no start, fixed it The Welcome Wagon 1
69shocktower Electrical Will start, then it wont, crank but no fire, eliminator chip Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
S No crank no start SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 5
allutz Cold start extended crank issue SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
G I need a miracle! - Father's Day Gift Won't Start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
T PCM Help! No OBD2 communication, cranks but no start. 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
R Electrical Engine Swap HELP SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
T 89 2.3 n/a cranks, no start 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 0
1 Car cranks but doesn't start. Used checklist, have fuel, spark, compression and timing Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
R 2000 4.6 Mustang with crank no start 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 15
A Engine Crank, no start on cold start. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
T Electrical Cranks OK, but No Start 92 Mustang 5.0 Coil Fat Blue Spark per jrichker Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
R No crank, No Start condition on 96 Mustang GT 8 CYL 4.6L Manual Trans SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
R Electrical Cranks ok but no start help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
B Can someone please tell me what security system is installed on my 95 mustang 3.8. VIN: 1FALP4041SF249366 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
R 2005 crank but wont start! have fuel and spark 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
F Cranks Ok No start 90 Gt Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
H 94 Mustang - Cranks but no start SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
9 Engine 1990 5.0 manual crank/no start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
G 1998, V6: Cranks,won’t start-Sometimes SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 9
S Mustang 93 5.0 doesn’t start cranks but no start please help... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 35
D Engine 91 lx 5.0 cranks no start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
STROKED_LX Fuel 89 Notch, cranks no start (did check list) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4