CREEKY MAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS EXTREME DUTY CONTROL ARMS PISSING ME OFF!

Gearhead91

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Just installed MM Extreme duty control arms for my 02 GT. They make a creeky, squeaky sound at low speeds 0-5mph when the rear articulates or moves up and down. My car sounds like a piece of crap when I pull outta parking lots!

I have the extreme duty arms. They are solid mount on both ends. They do transfer some NVH but I'm fine with that. Worth the connected feeling. But the body ends have the poly bushings and the axle end has nothing. Just bolts metal to metal to the rear. While I was installing, I was thinking to myself that this will make noise when the rear suspension twists. AND IT DOES! :bs:

Any ideas guys? Did I do something wrong? Anyone else get this low speed creek??

• Sponsors (?)

I have the regular Maximum Motorsports lower control arms
on my car and they are creeky going over bumps and alittle
annoying but,they do plant the rear tires to the ground quite
well.I think I can live with these control arms though.
I know the streets/roads in New Jersey aspecially south New
Jersey are a piece of crap with potholes and large cracks in
the middle of the roads.

Mine make the same noises, & yes it is annoying, but for the quality & performance of the parts, I can live with the noise...

Yea, same here, I constantly put white lithium grease on my Poly bushings and a day later the sound comes back, but I can live with a little creeky sound if they keep performing that much better than the stock ones. Besides every car starts to make noise after a little age no matter what make or model.

Mine chirp like no other. I've also got the Extreme Duty adjustable height arms with a locker out back, so it makes a TON of noise making small, slow turns. I'm considering going down there with some very heavy grease and filling the areas between the neoprene outer pieces and the bearings.

I'm thinking about getting a set of the same, but made by Griggs, they will be adjustable and have the spherical bearing so I don't have to worry about the bushings tearing out or anything like that, a little noise wont hurt anyone (when you have an exhaust leak, SLP exhaust, loud arse Hawk HP+ brake pads, and a stereo that tends to always be loud, loud tires, aftermarket sway bars that need a little greasing, drivetrain thuds, a loud shifter, a creeky Corbeau seat, etc etc.):D

I'm thinking about getting a set of the same, but made by Griggs, they will be adjustable and have the spherical bearing so I don't have to worry about the bushings tearing out or anything like that, a little noise wont hurt anyone (when you have an exhaust leak, SLP exhaust, loud arse Hawk HP+ brake pads, and a stereo that tends to always be loud, loud tires, aftermarket sway bars that need a little greasing, drivetrain thuds, a loud shifter, a creeky Corbeau seat, etc etc.):D

Amen to that:nice:, Who here has mustang that sounds and rides exactly like stock?:D

Mine squeak and creek...Steeda Steel uppers and Steeda weight jackers on the bottom.
A lot of it is my sway bar, it sits lower now and I clip it once in a while and it comes loose..

First week or so, I was pretty sure I missed a step or something...but nope, all is tight...just...creeky.

The things we live with for performance eh..

I have UPR upper and lower adjustable arms with spherical bushings. I have had them for about 4 years. Its metal on metal and its is definitely louder than stock.

The creeks and cranks from my rear end have gotten so bad in the last two year that I am embarrassed to drive around my apartment, much less have people inside my car. I have tried the heaviest bearing grease to the lightest oil you can find. Nothing alleviates the problem for more than a few days.

The gains are minimal, I can lay rubber all day with my 275s with very simple mods. I would never buy arms with spherical bushings for a car that would spend even a single day on the street. Go poly or stay stock, if you really care about traction that much you would have a watts link and a torque arm.

Honestly what is the point of having a mustang that sounds like a beater when you are driving it around?

I have UPR upper and lower adjustable arms with spherical bushings. I have had them for about 4 years. Its metal on metal and its is definitely louder than stock.

The creeks and cranks from my rear end have gotten so bad in the last two year that I am embarrassed to drive around my apartment, much less have people inside my car. I have tried the heaviest bearing grease to the lightest oil you can find. Nothing alleviates the problem for more than a few days.

The gains are minimal, I can lay rubber all day with my 275s with very simple mods. I would never buy arms with spherical bushings for a car that would spend even a single day on the street. Go poly or stay stock, if you really care about traction that much you would have a watts link and a torque arm.

Honestly what is the point of having a mustang that sounds like a beater when you are driving it around?

I can lay rubber all day long with 335/35/17s too. At the track on drag radials however, my launches felt MUCH tighter and safer, not to mention being able to cut an occasional 1.6 60 foot. I wouldn't have put so much money into the rear end if I were just driving it on the street all the time. It's good advice to spend the money elsewhere if the car is exclusively street driven.

Is it binding? Did you tighten everything while it was still up in the air, or did you lower it down to the ground first before tightening?

Heh, I couldn't get my arm under my car on the ground if my life depended on it. My car sits LOW. I've tried tightening them up when the car was backed up on some homemade ramps, but that didn't do any good. These arms are just vocal. You just gotta make sure to keep the RPM over 4k when taking off so noone can hear them!