Crown Vic Police Cars

Green93LX

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2002
Mobile, Al
I was just wandering what do the older crown vic police cars have unique? My uncle is gonna sell me the 5.0 from one of his. He also said I can take anything else I want, what do these cars have in them?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I know they are efi 5.0's, but are they really that underpowered? What about the springs/sway bars and things like that? are any of these performance pieces as compared to my v-6 ones? If the motor is that weak then I need to go ahead and go for a 5.0 from a stang.

i don't know about other states, but in alabama the trooper cars run inlet restrictors. if you look at the two coolant lines going to the heater core, you will notice that the upper core has a slight bulge in it. there is a small inlet reducer in the upper hose. it keeps internal pressure low in the heater core - so the cars can stay on top end for an extended period of time without a pressure blow out on the coolant system. some cars come stock with them ,but the police / trooper issue cars come with restrictors that have a much smaller diameter. plus they usually have silicone rad hoses & some of them run water wetter. all of that is stuff you can get for your engine at pretty much any parts house.

Green93LX said:
I know they are efi 5.0's, but are they really that underpowered? What about the springs/sway bars and things like that? are any of these performance pieces as compared to my v-6 ones? If the motor is that weak then I need to go ahead and go for a 5.0 from a stang.

Yep, that's all they had. These cars were products of the performance-robbing emissions controls of the early 1980s.

Remember, the early 5.0L Fox-bodies only got 175HP with a 4-barrel carb, while the efi 5.0 in the CV/LTD put out 140HP (later upped to 160HP). The Mustangs hit a top speed of 130mph, while the box-bodied CVs struggled to hit 115mph even with the 351 Windsor.

Some yahoo on eBay is selling an old 5.0L Crown Vic, and saying it has the "same drivetrain as the Mustang". What a tard.

The police Crown Vics did get suspension upgrades over the civilian CVs, but I'm not sure what. Probably just thicker sway bars, and heavy-duty springs.