Custom Exhaust Question

JasinC19

What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
I have 2 Borla stainless mufflers (universal offset/offset 2.5") coming to me in the mail.

A local shop suggested I order mandrel bent intermediate pipes and tailpipes for my car so that he can weld them on and fit everything.

Do people usually do this? And if so, would the brand really matter at that point? I'm assuming a Flowmaster offset/offset 2.5" muffler would be the same dimensions as a Borla?

• Sponsors (?)

That's the way to go imo. If you can get someone to do it for a good price it usually beats buying a whole new catback and you get what ever mufflers you want. When I first went from flowmaster catback to dynomax bullets I just chopped off the tail pipes but the guy welded on the mufflers at an angle in case I ever wanted to put the tailpipes back on they would still work. With the pipes and welding skills making a catback is pretty simple. I've got some bassani mufflers coming in the mail I am going to do the same thing with, and just weld them into the catback I have now, 135 bucks for the 2 mufflers beats the price of a new bassani catback, I haven't even looked but I'm sure its over 450 bucks, probably the same with the Borla. But hey if you can afford the whole catback more power to ya.

The Borlas are about the same size as flows if memory serves, but I don't think all the aftermarket tailpipes/intermediate pipes are exactly the same...minor fitment differences amongst them, but what you're doing is a good way to go about it as long as you're not spending the same amount in the long run, otherwise, it's kinda silly except putting money into your local economy. Map it out...how much were the mufflers? How much are you going to spend on all the pipes (to include shipping)? Installation?

Meh... it wouldn't be a big enough difference to matter I don't think. From youtubing exhaust clips, these were the only mufflers that really sounded great to me, so it will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure the shop can make whatever work.

Correct-any decent exhaust shop assemble your pieces...I had one put a system together from mandrel bent sections for my '72 Plymouth. In case you've never seen one of them, the steering parts are too close to where long tubes would exit a Mustang, and the steering box is in the way on the left side, so good headers for Mopar A bodies are very expensive. It took 6ea 2.5" mandrel bent U pipes to fab up the bends needed to make it past the suspension/steering/starter...

The Borlas are about the same size as flows if memory serves, but I don't think all the aftermarket tailpipes/intermediate pipes are exactly the same...minor fitment differences amongst them, but what you're doing is a good way to go about it as long as you're not spending the same amount in the long run, otherwise, it's kinda silly except putting money into your local economy. Map it out...how much were the mufflers? How much are you going to spend on all the pipes (to include shipping)? Installation?

I spent 135 shipped on the mufflers. The exhaust pipe cost me about 7 bucks each and had an exhaust shop flare the outside for free. Spent about 20 bucks in flanges, bolts, clamps, and hangers. The cat-back is $679. Getting tailpipes over the rear end would take a few more specialized bends but still pretty simple.

IMG_7836.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg