Detroit Locker questions.

6Stang7

Jun 1, 2003
Livermore, CA
I got the tranny back in the coupe, and tried to take her for a test drive again, but still no worky. I hear what sounds like a grinding noise (can't really hear cause I'm running open headers now) when I let the clutch out. I jacked the rear end up, and with the car in gear, grabbed and tried to spin the tire; which I am able to do. It's hard to spin it, then it will make a pop sound and get easy to spin, then get hard again (the drive shaft doesn't move either, so something it's giving out in the diff). It's like the spider gears or something are not fully messed to the locker, and they are just popping out. Is what is happing normal? Is there something else messed up in the diff? I haven't driven my car in so long, and this whole diff and tranny swap have be an up hill battle all the way. I am gonna call the diff shop that assembled my diff tomorrow morning and see what I get from them, but I am assuming here that I'll be left high and drie.

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

It's a 8" with 4.11's and a Detroit EZ Locker. It was professionally built by a diff shop in Stockton. The axel housing and axels are from my old diff, and the carrier housing and pinion retainer are from another. The gears and locker are brand new.

-Shaun

I'm not real sure, but I don't think it should POP at all. I've got what I think is a detroit locker in a 68 Merc ( sure acts like one anyway) and it doesn't pop at all. Just more of a soft clicking while spinning one wheel.

If you put the tranny into neutral, can you rotate the driveshaft?? I used a detroit locker in my truck, it is not an ez locker but nearly the same thing. No mine doesn't make a loud pop, it doesn't really make any noise at all. If you bought your locker new, it has testing instructions with it. you turn one wheel forward then while you do that you have a friend turn the other wheel forward, this should lock the locker and make it impossiable to turn either wheel backwards. Or something like that, it was several years ago I did mine. If you cannot move the driveshaft by hand, there are some serious problems with the setup of the ring and pinion, or bearings. I would also confirm proper oil level.

Those things are a big pile of doo doo man.

That sounds like what a broken spider gear would do or if the ez locker were worn down.

They tend to wear down the spider gears and do exactly what it's doing now. Just free spin doing a grinding noise.

Did it do the same thing before you took it out for the test drive? I'm sure you spun the tires while it was jacked up everybody does.

They aren't called ez lockwrongs for nothing.

I donno. I remember I tried to spin the tire one way, and my dad tried the other in the oppisite direction, and I couldnt do it. I'll test it to see if i can do it now. But why would it just break. I havent even driven it.

Ford4Fun said:
If you put the tranny into neutral, can you rotate the driveshaft?? I used a detroit locker in my truck, it is not an ez locker but nearly the same thing. No mine doesn't make a loud pop, it doesn't really make any noise at all. If you bought your locker new, it has testing instructions with it. you turn one wheel forward then while you do that you have a friend turn the other wheel forward, this should lock the locker and make it impossiable to turn either wheel backwards. Or something like that, it was several years ago I did mine. If you cannot move the driveshaft by hand, there are some serious problems with the setup of the ring and pinion, or bearings. I would also confirm proper oil level.

When I spin one wheel, the other spins in the same direction with it. Is this wrong?

Well, I pulled my third member out and took it back to the diff shop. It turns out that the clutch plates for the locker were sliding up and down on the pin; therefore, they could not properly mesh with the spider gears. Fostang's buddy at the shop flat out told me that this thing is just not meant for an 8"(even though the company claims it is). The 8" uses one pin while the 9" uses two. The two pins will prevent vertical movement as well as horizontal movement, while one will just prevent horizontal. He said that I would not have had this problem with a 9", but in the 8" it just wouldn't work. There is clear proof that the spider gears were riding on the top of the clutch plates, which I’m going to take pictures of. I'm going to call the store I bought the locker from and tell them about what the shop found in an attempt to get my money back (I'll let you all know how that goes). I had the two top spider gears re-installed making it an open diff again. The plan here is for me to run it as an open diff for the 500 mile break in, then after that to have a LSD unit installed. I am going to call some numbers that the diff tech gave me and try to find a used track lock and rebuild that, otherwise he said that he could get me Auburn LSD unit for $400 installed. Anyone that has is thinking about getting a Detroit EZ Locker should seriously consider some other forum of posi, unless you are running a 9”. While this unit says that it’s for an 8” and 9”, it appears that it will just not work in an 8”.

-Shaun

Shaun,

That seriously sucks bro.

Miles couldn't even figure out how to make it work???

HMMM I'm going to talk to him tomorrow get some details about what's going on.

I think it's time for a spool for you.

On a side note did you see my diff? or should I say diffs since even the one for the coupe is also there.?

Sal

Fostang said:
Shaun,

That seriously sucks bro.

Miles couldn't even figure out how to make it work???

HMMM I'm going to talk to him tomorrow get some details about what's going on.

I think it's time for a spool for you.

On a side note did you see my diff? or should I say diffs since even the one for the coupe is also there.?

Sal

No, Miles had some ideas on how to get it to work, but neither were really practical. If I can return the locker, then I just gotta pony up an extra $100 or so and I can get a LSD unit. :banana: He did suggest getting a spool for the timing being, but I'd rather save the little extra and just wait for the LSD. I did however see the 8.8 for the stang, and Miles also showed me his "first eaton" posi with the 10 clutch plates that he stuck in there. I have to say, seeing your diff really made me think about putting in a 87 GT 8.8. I remember hearing that they are only about an 1/2" or so longer then the 67's. He also showed me the tweaked housing that originally came with that 8.8, and hot damn, was that thing tweaked! BTW, when you see him tomorrow, ask if he ever got his Edelbrock 600 working. I was taking a look at it while I was there and I really think that his needle and seats are stuck.

-Shaun

Yeah and you didn't see it with the TA girdle I forgot to take him.

BTW those are 10 steel clutches not carbon ones.

Oh great the stupid Carb on his slowmaro is acting up.

Nah it's clogged he runs it dry what he expect.

I'll take it apart for him tomorrow if he hasn't already and just clean it out.

I called the Drivetrain Super Store today (were I bought my locker from) and told the sales rep. there what was going on. He gave me the tech line number for the manufactor of the locker and said that I needed to call them and talk to them. He said that he knows this unit works in 8" rears, as he has done it himself; and says that it sounds like a installation problem. I know it was not installed wrong, the diff tech Miles knows way too much to install something this simple in wrong. However, he said that I just need to talk to TrackTech and then call him back. He assuerd me that I wouldn't get left high and drie, and that I'll get a refund (minus shipping). I'll still be a little doughtful, but hopefully this will all go though.

Edit: O BTW, I just put gear oil in the diff and took her for a spin around the block!!! SHE RUNS AGAIN!!!! No clutch chatter at all and the cable clutch works great!!! I'm gonna do the first 50 mile break in after school today, but this little trip around the block should hold me over til then. :spot: :flag: :nice:

-Shaun