Differences between motors

• Sponsors (?)

Route666 said:
I posted this in the 5.0 forum, but I thought I'd get more of an audience, because I need to learn.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=408192

Generally the newer engines are referred to as 5.0s, while the earlier engines are called 302s to avoid confusion. The newer engines (the 5.0s) use a different block and crankshaft than the older engines (the 302s). The 5.0 block has been modified and requires the use of roller camshafts that are not compatible with the 302s. It also has a different rear main seal that requires use of a different crankshaft than that of the 302.

I notice when looking at different parts that there are different eras that the part works for, like some parts will be for 74 - 98, and some for 77 - 83, etc. It is very confusing.

Looking at the blocks on FRPP I get confused, they say 302/5.0L and some say 302, I just don't understand what goes with what.

Realmongo said:
Generally the newer engines are referred to as 5.0s, while the earlier engines are called 302s to avoid confusion. The newer engines (the 5.0s) use a different block and crankshaft than the older engines (the 302s). The 5.0 block has been modified and requires the use of roller camshafts that are not compatible with the 302s. It also has a different rear main seal that requires use of a different crankshaft than that of the 302.
Not completely accurate, the earliest 5.0's had flat-tappet cams and 28oz/in balance cranks. The 5.0 referance first came out in 79. Also the 5.0 roller cams can be used in older blocks with the right lifters ( Crane makes em I believe) The earlier cranks can be machined to work in the one piece seal blocks, but the opposite is not true.

Route666 said:
and that is it? Water pump mounts the same, etc?

Are the 5.0 cranks internally balanceable?

You will have to check with another member on the water pump. I have had the older engines and 3 or 4 new cars with the newer design, but there was a long period of many years between them when I did not have any Fords, so I never had the opportunity to attempt swapping parts between the eras.

Every thing is interchangable except for the crank. The lifter boars are a little longer on the 5.0 (for the roler cam),and the bearing size is the same. The 5.0 also go with the 50oz balance and the 302 go with the 28oz balence. Bolth are externaly balanced. Lets see.... There is a few other little things, but it is basicly the same block. I think you are able to run a standard cam in a 5.0 but i dont know why you would do that, but you have to modify the 302 to run the roller cam.

Route666 said:
Cool, regarding the balance, I found the same as you said, but is it possible to balance those cranks, and so can use neutral damper and flywheel?
That would depend on who you get to balance your crank. This question is best asked of who you get to balance it. I would say yes, it can be internally balanced, because I've had a 428 crank done that way, but that is a much larger crank in a different engine family. I doubt that you could do this to a 50 oz/in crank, but a 28 oz/in might be done because of it's larger counterweights.