Differential Question???

Wondering if anyone knows how or even if I can tell what rear end is in my car just by looking? Do I have to take the diff girdle off? The car was originally a 4 cyl now sporting a carbed 302. When I asked what rear was in it the guy said a 9" but this guy was a bit of a shyster so I dont believe him. He said that there were Flowmaster muff's but in fact they are Dynomax so I wouldnt say he is very credible. I've already picked up 31 spline axles and 3:55's for an 8.8. Anyone??

• Sponsors (?)

Tough question for me man since I dont have any parts or a stang anymore to look at. You can tell what gears you have by lifting the rear wheels in the air and turning the driveshaft and counting the number of times the wheels will turn with one full turn of the driveshaft....

About the size of the rearend, I've had ring/pinions in my hands before but I dont remember if 8.8 is written on the top of the pinion or on the ring. I THINK SO but I'm not positive. So you might to take the cover off to take a look at everything. I dont want to make you work for nothing either....even if this is not very hard.

Maybe someone will climb in here and help us out..

Ford 7.5"

View attachment 388884
ford75pattern.jpg

Ford 8.8"

ford88in.jpg

axle1.jpg

ford88pattern.jpg

Does that help? :shrug:

Hey thanks! Although, your info has proven my disbelief of this guy as it is a 7.5 in there, damn it!!! Ive already gathered 3:55s and 31 spline axles for an 8.8. Which will lead me to my next question: Can these parts somehow fit in the 7.5 axle housing (I will be picking up a Powertrax locker, 8.8 of course) or do I need to shop for a complete 8.8?