DIY Paint Mods

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
Would it be possible to paint the rear spoiler and the center of the hood either semi gloss or flat black with the proper prep work at home with automotive spray paint and clear?
I was thinking if I scuff the factory paint and then prime and paint it, it should work.
Anybody ever tried this? I am fixing to buy a Canary Yellow 95 Stang, but I want to add a little something to break up all the yellow.
I've attached a pic of kind of what I want to do to the hood.

Attachments

• hood idea.jpg
    hood idea.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

That's what I figured, but on the hood, would there be any issues with taping off the section and painting it? Like an edge that could get nicked off?
I think I could just do the same for the hood, but I know the factory paint doesn't have clear, so I guess I'd just have to be cafeful not to get any clear on it, right?

That's what I figured, but on the hood, would there be any issues with taping off the section and painting it? Like an edge that could get nicked off?
I think I could just do the same for the hood, but I know the factory paint doesn't have clear, so I guess I'd just have to be cafeful not to get any clear on it, right?

factory paint should have clear. Unless it was repainted. my 94 has base, clear so your 95 should as well. But yes be sure to not leave any part of the car exposed when painting, cause overspray will just cause you problems. and the black satin uv protectd should do the trick if you dont want to clear. oh and for the edge, if you want to put clear you can wet sand the edge then polish but if you want to use the black satin there will be an edge you will feel with your finger but there nothing you can do about that