Do heat extractor hoods really work?

streethorse

15 Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Dallas Texas
When its 100 degrees or higher and I pull into my garage the heat in the engine bay gets super hot with the hood down. The heat cant escape
once you turn the motor off since the grill opening is lower than the
motor. I always prop the hood open to let the heat out. Is there a cure
for this? If you live up north in cooler climate you wont notice this at all.
But the heat soak here when its 100 or 105+ will make my car run slugish for 5 or 10 minutes after restart.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes they work....but....Ford did not design a car that has to have the hood opened once shut off.....

Also, they work better with air flow.

He's worried about heat soak, and the only way to get a quicker turnaround in his boat is to pop the hood and let some out into the garage. Granted the car isn't going to go all wicked witch and melt down just because it's left warm, but if he was going right back out, then yeah, popping the hood might help dissipate some heat that otherwise would be confined.

To the OP- yes, the do, as long as the venting is actually open and not some mess of ducts and such. When you are running at speed, the low pressure area over the hood will pull some of the already higher pressure hot air from under the hood via the vents and make cooling a little better. At rest, the vents will allow hot air to do it's thing, and rise. It won't exactly be like icing your intake or anything, and you also have to consider that now if you get caught in the rain those two vents have become windows for the rain to get in. Personally, I think you should look into upgrades for the cooling system so that it can cope with the heat buildup this time of year and de-soak your engine quicker.

What about a re-wire of the fans to stay on until the temp drops or an addition fan system to move the air? Maybe even an electric water pump to move the water thru the system when the car has been shut off.

If this was a racing concern, I can see it....but it sounds like a daily drive thing.... Lived in Az for 35 years...never saw an issue on a DD.

A normal battery would be murdered by that in minutes. Why not just get a big ass shop fan, put it in front of your car blowing air out your garage door, that way it blows at the radiator, under and over the car, and pushes the heat out of your garage. My local mustang shop has one they use for cars on the dyno.

What about a re-wire of the fans to stay on until the temp drops or an addition fan system to move the air? Maybe even an electric water pump to move the water thru the system when the car has been shut off.

If this was a racing concern, I can see it....but it sounds like a daily drive thing.... Lived in Az for 35 years...never saw an issue on a DD.

True my car is a DD but I am a fanatic about keeping it in perfect condition.
When the heat builds up like that with the hood down, no wind or air
circulation everything under the hood is subjected to higher heat than
when driving. The other day it was 100 degrees and I opened my hood
after parking for an hour and even the hood prop rod was so hot you couldnt hold your hand on it for a few seconds. And even while driving wouldnt
it be benificial to have the additional air cooling, cooler air in from the bottem
and hotter air out the top? Like when your sitting in heavy traffic not moving.
Mabey Ill just remove the hood altogether....:D

There ya go....no hood at all. I can't remember how many times I have gone to open the hood of a car parked in the sun all day and burnt my hands on it or the prop rod. In 100+ temps, not being run, everything is hot, no matter what.

I dont think you understand how hot these engines get.

Posted via Mobile Device

Electric water pumps are not that uncommon, Meziere sells them. They free up some power as well. I am sure they can be made to run with the car turned off. I have a Steeda cowl hood and it seems to stay a little cooler under the hood than the stock hood.

temp001.jpg

Its hot everyday....... thats in the shade.....:flag:

Attachments

• temp001.jpg
    temp001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 298
This thread is a fail... Your mustang is fine in 130* temps even after it's shut off and the cooling system stops. If you're really concerned, then let it idle for 2-3 minutes until it's back to ambient. Your motor is not being damaged in the least by the escaping latent heat built up in the block and exhaust components after the engine is shut off. Buy a heat extractor hood if you want one. It's more for looks than anything else. They absolutely do work, but they also are absolutely not necessary for a DD. I personally think they look great, and are one of the most functional hoods available for modern cars.

This thread is a fail... Your mustang is fine in 130* temps even after it's shut off and the cooling system stops. If you're really concerned, then let it idle for 2-3 minutes until it's back to ambient. Your motor is not being damaged in the least by the escaping latent heat built up in the block and exhaust components after the engine is shut off. Buy a heat extractor hood if you want one. It's more for looks than anything else. They absolutely do work, but they also are absolutely not necessary for a DD. I personally think they look great, and are one of the most functional hoods available for modern cars.

So where do you live ........?

Always in the south... TX, FL, AL, and GA (military). Sorry for being harsh, but brother, I drive a turbocharged car and am still running A/C, too. So, it goes, intercooler, condenser, then radiator, plus a ****-ton of exhaust piping running through the engine bay. That's a hell of a lot more heat under the hood - the underhood temps can be pretty outrageous, but there's no concern once the motor's off. Upgrading the cooling system was definitely necessary so I've got a Ron Davis radiator, and twin spal fans keeping everything cool at idle. Nothing's harder on a non-racing cooling system than idling in heat with the A/C going. My setup does a great job keeping things under control. I'd run the stock hood if it would fit with my stuff. My 2.5" cowl hood is all that worked. I doubt a heat extractor would, but I'd give one a shot.

In any event, I'm sorry for being a dick. If opening your hood in the garage makes you a happier guy, do it, and if the idea of buying a heat extractor hood makes you happier than spending your money on something else, you should.

As a practical matter, though, if you start running into issues keeping the motor cool while it's running, then you should start considering other things to improve the cooling system before the hood (radiator, ducting, fan, etc...) I, however, would not recommend running an electric water pump on a DD as mechanical pumps are more reliable, and more obvious when they go bad, not to mention cheaper.

Good luck in your decisions.

Always in the south... TX, FL, AL, and GA (military). Sorry for being harsh, but brother, I drive a turbocharged car and am still running A/C, too. So, it goes, intercooler, condenser, then radiator, plus a ****-ton of exhaust piping running through the engine bay. That's a hell of a lot more heat under the hood - the underhood temps can be pretty outrageous, but there's no concern once the motor's off. Upgrading the cooling system was definitely necessary so I've got a Ron Davis radiator, and twin spal fans keeping everything cool at idle. Nothing's harder on a non-racing cooling system than idling in heat with the A/C going. My setup does a great job keeping things under control. I'd run the stock hood if it would fit with my stuff. My 2.5" cowl hood is all that worked. I doubt a heat extractor would, but I'd give one a shot.

In any event, I'm sorry for being a dick. If opening your hood in the garage makes you a happier guy, do it, and if the idea of buying a heat extractor hood makes you happier than spending your money on something else, you should.

As a practical matter, though, if you start running into issues keeping the motor cool while it's running, then you should start considering other things to improve the cooling system before the hood (radiator, ducting, fan, etc...) I, however, would not recommend running an electric water pump on a DD as mechanical pumps are more reliable, and more obvious when they go bad, not to mention cheaper.

Good luck in your decisions.

So your saying that the cooling system is ever bit as efficient at 105 degrees
as it is at 32 degrees...... I think not.

No. I didn't say that at all, or anything close to that for that matter. I'm not going to be dragged into a debate about this, either.

Stock daily driven modern production cars like yours don't have overheating problems in 105* weather unless something is defective. The Ford engineers would all be dragged outside and shot if they did.

No. I didn't say that at all, or anything close to that for that matter. I'm not going to be dragged into a debate about this, either.

Stock daily driven modern production cars like yours don't have overheating problems in 105* weather unless something is defective. The Ford engineers would all be dragged outside and shot if they did.

My car starts and runs no matter what the temp. But there is a difference.

59.99 at Home Depot. If you think you really have to have something, then this is prolly the cheapest easiest route.

LASKO4900.jpg

Attachments

• LASKO4900.jpg
    LASKO4900.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 394