Do you use the HOV lane?

sgw_88FoxGT

May 18, 2008
Then please hurry the hell up. I know it may seem like an opportune time to go cruisin' with your windows down like you're driving up Sunset Blvd on a blue sky Sunday afternoon, but it's not. There is a line of cars behind you and we're trying to get somewhere so stay the hell out of the HOV lane if you're gonna drive like my grandma.

This rant started when I was on my way to work this morning giving my sister a ride and decided to take the single lane HOV lane to speedily move past traffic. Wrong. Some jerk in front of me was going 45 and there was a line of cars behind me as far as I could see. And the cars on the regular highway part were passing us!

Just cause there are barriers on either side of you doesn't mean you have to slow down, they aren't going to move, just keep your car between them and you'll be fine. In fact the HOV lane is wider than the standard highway lanes so step on it. I'm not asking anyone to speed but it would be nice if people at least kept up with traffic.

Any similar experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

The HOV lane, at least here in Boston, has only one entrance and one exit that is several miles long. It's basically an express lane that you can only use if you have two or more people in your car. It is only one lane with barriers on both sides so you can't pass which is horrible when you get behind someone who goes really slow.

Yeah I was riding in a car in the HOV lane (carpool lane or whatever they call it around here). We were doing 65 or so then a semi truck comes straight out of nowhere doing 80 mph or something almost running everyone off the road, or into the barrier you might say. WTF was an eighteen wheeler doing in that lane, and just about scared the crap out of me when I saw it.

HOV lanes around here are used as speed traps. The lanes are so monitored, u see a pulled over car every mile. I've live in dc metro area for about 7 years now and I still don't know how to get on and where the closest exit is.

Here in Boston, every morning, there is a state trooper bagging people trying to use the HOV lane as a single person.

Did you know a baby counts as a passenger and allows you into the HIV Lane??

You aren't supposed to tow anything either in the HOV lane. And yes...a Barricaded lane is a DUMB idea if anything ever happens. :(

I hate left lane cruisers....the ones that do UNDER the speed limit in the left lane. Yes i know it's cliche to talk about them but it always amazes me how many people drive clueless in the left lane.

First of all, a good driver should be constantly aware of his surroundings and always watching the mirrors. So you should be aware of the cars coming up behind you at a faster speed, slamming on the brakes, and then moving right and passing you. I HATE passing on the right, but WTF you gonna do when the guy in your lane is doing 50 in a 55??

On the highway i drive with my lights on. I find it makes people move over quicker. Yes, i am a left lane speedster. The highways in MA are like the autobahn. If the limit is 65, traffic moves at 75-80. If you are from out of state and drive in MA, stay out of the left lane if you are going slower than 75MPH. You will get flipped off...prob by me :)

But usually most people follow the "rules". When i come up on cars doing 65-70, they move over right away and then move back when i pass. It's just how it's done. I do the same thing. If i'm cruising and someone is coming up fast behind me, i see it in my rearview, move over, let em pass and then move back.

But once in a while you get that person who doesn't want to move out of principle or is unaware of whatis in his rearview :(

Oh BTW, commercial vehicles and vehicles with something in tow are limited to the first two lanes on the right and shouldn't be in the left lanes. I hate when some family on a moving trip plants their Uhaul box truck with car in tow in the left lane. :(

BTW, i do a lot of highway miles. This is what I have found

The left lane is not the fast lane. It’s just the lane everyone wants to be in.

The middle lane is now the fast lane.

Here in Boston, every morning, there is a state trooper bagging people trying to use the HOV lane as a single person.

Did you know a baby counts as a passenger and allows you into the HIV Lane??

You aren't supposed to tow anything either in the HOV lane. And yes...a Barricaded lane is a DUMB idea if anything ever happens. :(

The HIV lane :scratch:, I'm not sure I like the sounds of that.

Well if you think about it a baby is a human being too, its kinda funny how we think of babies as babies and not people sometimes.

Oklahoma doesn't have HOV lanes. Oklahoma roads are the crappiest things I've ever had to drive on.
In Phoenix, the HOV lanes are limited only during certain hours and days. 6am - 9am and 3pm - 7pm, Mon - Fri. All other times it's just another lane anyone can use. Phoenix roads are some of the best roads I've driven on... rubberized asphalt FTMFW!!