Does Anyone Carry a Fire Extinguisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a small one mounted behind my back seat so i can flip the seat down fast and grab it.. i have a big one in my lincoln and a huge one in my truck all big and red and ugly as ****

but ive saved my lincoln from burning down twice ( and was able to drive it home both times after i used my ricer cannon on it to save my car)

ive put out a tree fire across the street from my lake cabin before it burned my neighbors house down (i got the extinguisher from my CAR)..

i always have one in my rigs..

• Sponsors (?)

I learned to carry one from my grandpa. Never thought anything of it until we smelled electrical burning and opened the hood and the alternator was on fire. the extinguisher put it out and saved the car and wiring harness. Why is it that grandparents are always right about everything?

It might be considered "rice" to carry a fire extinguisher but sometimes it's necessary. This poor guy watched his heavily modified, turbo'd Grand Prix go up in flames. He was offered a $3000 replacement value... View attachment 323136

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

View attachment 323137

View attachment 323138

Image007a.jpg

Image024a.jpg

Image026a.jpg

Notice the intercooler, turbo, etc. All the charge piping melted away.
Image027a.jpg

I have one mounted to my roll cage in the back. Since i have a vert you can see it when my top is down! Super rice!:D

I am glad some of you carry one but if it is in your trunk you may have a hard time getting it if it is needed. Mine is in arms reach.

I did much of the work on my car myself. No problems or mishaps but trust in my skills only goes so far.:D

A fire extinguisher that is safely and securely mounted within reach of the driver is REQUIRED by many car clubs that do open track days. As an instructor for several of them, I have one in all my cars that go to the track and one in our truck. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to use them a couple of times... not at the track but on the street on other peoples cars. It may not have put out the fire, but it did knock it down and gained enough time until the fire dept got there.

(that A pillar mount won't cut it and IS rice)

PSA
Remember the fire extinguisher should be within arms reach of the driver and is only to put yourself out and not to fight an actual car fire unless its a small flame or something you can put out quickly. Also don't use it on someone else's car because on your way home from helping that stranger who knows what might happen to you.

no brainer on the c-pillar = rice

the c-pillar is for cool gauges like the one below :nice:

16732-test-ricer-gauge.jpg

retard

I think this retard thinks that "trunk" is spelled "truck", he's done it twice now. Anyhow, MOST car shows require a fire extinguisher, it's usually explained as needed for potential electrical fires since most show cars are heavily modified electrically and otherwise.

And for the record, rice is slapping on horrific wings and/or bodykits, putting cheesy decals or chrome door trim around everything, and most of all, driving a little fart-can equipped ricermobile. Rice can be seen when you're driving down the road past a car, if you're close enough to see a fire ext inside the car, why don't you comment on their choice of radio too!

Yeah, put it where it's inconspicuous, but it is more useful in the car than in the TRUNK.

So like i said before.... Fire extinguisher on C-Pillar is Rice and Having a Fire Extinguisher in the truck is pretty much useless.

Way to backpeddle :rlaugh:

For future reference, SRT Handz' red 94-98 body style Mustang has no means necessary of fighting a fire should something "happen".

Shoot, even my grandma's VW Beetle in Mexico has a fire extinguisher in the front passenger side. Damn thing takes up precious leg room

I think this retard thinks that "trunk" is spelled "truck", he's done it twice now. Anyhow, MOST car shows require a fire extinguisher, it's usually explained as needed for potential electrical fires since most show cars are heavily modified electrically and otherwise.

And for the record, rice is slapping on horrific wings and/or bodykits, putting cheesy decals or chrome door trim around everything, and most of all, driving a little fart-can equipped ricermobile. Rice can be seen when you're driving down the road past a car, if you're close enough to see a fire ext inside the car, why don't you comment on their choice of radio too!

Yeah, put it where it's inconspicuous, but it is more useful in the car than in the TRUNK.

You need to be :ban:

Noob.

It's funny that this thread came up, because I am a Fire Extinguisher maintenence Tech for a living. I carry an extinguisher in both of my mustangs at all times, & IMO its very important to have 1 in any modded vehicle...

The type of fire extingusher you want to have is ABC, because they cover all types of fires. Stay away from BC rated extinguishers because although they do cover grease & electrical fires, a class B or C fire will quickly turn into a class A fire...

Class A Fire= Ordinary combustibles. IE: wood, trash, paper, fabric etc.
Class B Fire= Grease & liquid fires. IE: Gasoline, cooking grease etc.
Class C Fire= Electrical equipment. IE: Fire involving energized electrical equipment such as motors, switches, wiring, where only chemicals that do not conduct electric current are used.

Anyhow, the most common sizes that you will see in vehicles are 2.5lbs but the next common sizes are 5 lbs. usually the type they sell in stores are manufactured by either Kidde, First alert, or strike 1st. Most of these will work in the case of a fire, but these are lower grade brands & most of the time are non refillable after used. Plus, dealing with these everyday, I have seen many that are leakers from the factory & they will lose there pressure.

the BEST brand on the market IMO are manufactured by a company called Amerex. , these are the industry standard, are very durable, refillable, & they are reliable... They cost a bit more, but IMO its worth it for the safety, plus they aren't that much more expensive. Amerex extinguisher's usually run from $32-$38 for a 2.5 lber, & $49-$60 for a 5 lber.

Here is an exapmle of Amerex extinguishers...

Amerex 5 lb ABC...

amerex_b500_photo_large.jpg

Amerex 2.5 lb ABC...

amerex2_5lbabc_26on.jpg

Thats funny I just bought one from farm and fleet for 12 bucks, figured I'm upgrading the fuel system so probably should take some safety precautions. I'm mounting it on the window below the rear view mirror lol! J/K

Hey man Handz has already gotten PLENTY of feed back in this very old thread so do not come in here calling long standing members names spouting your noob :bs: and bumping OLD ASS threads. I guess what I am saying is STFU and GTFO noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.