Dreaded Lifter TAP!

hackj1

Apr 1, 2005
I have a concern about lifter tap and spoke to FRPP/AFR and comp. The normal sewing machine noise is no problem but just off idle, 1200-1300+ rpm it has a lifter tap and its driving me crazy. I have changed cams, comp and e cam, changed lifters and adjusted preload numerous times from 1/4 to 1 turn, I still have the problem. Changed roller rockers twice, different manufacturers, FRPP sugested the flow restricted push rods but we dedcied on a straight 40 wt oil to test ..no difference. This is a new motor stock block and afr 165 r heads. Changed pushrods and rocker arms twice for testing. Comp cam is quieter as sewing machine noise but no change in lifter tap above idle. Two oil pumps have been used and oil pressure was good on both?????????????????
I noticed plenty of high lift high horsepower motors with very little noise...any help would be wonderfil...I'm very good at upper intake and valve adjust now!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

What is your measurement to coil bind, then... what is your total lift measurement?
What is your install height?
What is your clearance from pushrods to pushrod guides?
What is your clearance from retainer to bottom of rocker?
Just a few things to check right off the top of my head.
Good luck

These are new afr 165 heads that go to 550 and I'm now running e cam at 500? thanks

So... you assume they are correct?
Good luck... you're going to need it.

One more thing off the top of my head... so you can disregard because you assume everything is okay; improper oiling or lack of oiling will cause noises and failure of valve train parts.

I did think of that but I dont know how to check the pressure in the valve train and dont forget that this is just hot, if I didnt say before??? thanks

Most materials expand when heated... specially when there's lack of cooling and lubrication.
This is why the first things I suggested to check take into consideration for heat expansion. If you have no clearance to begin with, it will only get worse with heat.

You don't necessarily have to check for a "pressure", but you can check for "oiling" by using an oil primer. Just attach it to a cordless drill and spin it. With the valve covers off, you should see a good amount of oil from the rockers, pushrods area.