Victor Jr heads
Victor Jr Intake
Holley 750 HP carb
Trick Flow Stage 3 Cam
BBK Shorty Headers
2.5inch h-pipe
Slowmaster 2.5 inch catback
Stock T-5

First pull, car made 373 to the wheels, a/f too lean, and it ripped the vacuum pump pulley off:bang:

Bought a short belt to bypass vacuum pump, put it on, changed jets:D

Second pull, car made 400.4 to the ground, threw the belt:bang: :bang: crapola

-Vacuum pump should open up another 10 or so, a/f was still a little lean, going to change the jets again, reconfigure the accessories and make some more pulls.

Somewhat happy about the results, will be much happier when I spray it witha 200Hp plate...Then we'll see some high 500's:D

• Sponsors (?)

It made peak power at 6157, but only lost 6 total hp up to 6900

It made 379 ft lbs at 4100

I was pretty happy with just a jet change it made 27 more hp to the wheels! And it is still lean. With the belt and vacuum pump thing fixed, along with the electric waterpump drive i picked up I am hoping for 410-415 to the wheels...Then I am gonna put the Zex perimeter spray plate on it and go 10's...With the jet change it should go high 11's (uncorrected at 2710 ft above sea level) on the motor (corrected its something like low 11's)

Edit-the car went 12.04 uncorrected And I am going to step the jets in the carb up one more size.

with that power that car should go low 11's no prob with slicks .

with a 200 hit id shoot for bottom 10's or high 9s with that power .....

any pics of the motor and stuff ?

I bought a vacuum pump for it.

It keeps throwing the belts because I made a custom set of brackets and I think when I welded them up it warped them a little. I am buying a set of brackets to fix this but right now I like my drivers side alternator

brian15 said:
with that power that car should go low 11's no prob with slicks .

with a 200 hit id shoot for bottom 10's or high 9s with that power .....

any pics of the motor and stuff ?

It would go low 11's if the damn thing would hook, it peg legs hard and unloads the suspension real quick so it will onle 60 ft a 1.68

10's will be soon and no problem, 9's would be really nice!:SNSign:

Excellent numbers man, great to see that. I'm not too knowledgeable on carb'd applications, but could you get that much power out of a fuel injected car, or are those numbers something you could only get out of a carb with that set up?

OK to answer a few guestions...

Blue oval-It is a stock block with CHP girdle

Xr8ed-I am guessing with a tweecer/really good dyno tune a fuel injected car could make those numbers.

However...Horsepower TV did a 347 buildup with a very similar camshaft to mine, long tube headers, FAST engine management, aluminum flywheel, 30 or 42 lb injectors, windage tray with crank scraper, custom fuel rails, electric waterpump, no alternator, etc, etc ( all high dollar ****7) and on the engine dyno it only made 350-360 IIRC...ON THE ENGINE DYNO!

My car has stock flywheel and driveshaft, stock rear end minus the 4.30's, shorties with 2.5 inch piping to a slowmaster 2.5 inch catback and it still made (now) 406 to the wheels. I know EFI cars can be made to make some serious power but for ease of tuning a MOTOR only car, with the possibility of a plate, I couldnt beat a carb. Now when I go boosted, I will be buying a stand alone engine management system...along with a dart block...but that is a ways away LOL!!!

wow stock rear end and a 2.5 inch catback? Shouldn't you be running at least a 3 inch? And that thing with 4:30's!!!!!! DAYM. That thing must RIP through the gears. Hope you're planning on building the rear before you shoot for low 10's.

SQUEEZE&STROKE said:
However...Horsepower TV did a 347 buildup with a very similar camshaft to mine, long tube headers, FAST engine management, aluminum flywheel, 30 or 42 lb injectors, windage tray with crank scraper, custom fuel rails, electric waterpump, no alternator, etc, etc ( all high dollar ****7) and on the engine dyno it only made 350-360 IIRC...ON THE ENGINE DYNO!

Yea, I saw that episode. When he said those numbers I turned it off. They obviously have no idea what they are doing. An n/a 302 can make more than 350 at the flywheel. Buncha 'tards. But I did like that intake manifold they used.

nmcgrawj said:
I have never understood what makes a carb be able to make more power than FI. If the tune is right on, why does the motor care what kind of fueling its getting?

I too am curious as to why people say carbs can make more power. :shrug: