Dyno Numbers In!!!!

BlackVert said:

Isnt that the spyder intake Jay was referring to? Im a little confused on what point u were trying to get across.

Even with the spyder EFI, it seems that it still wont perform as well as carb'd setups, but it will perform the best out of FI stuff. But then people will raise concern for street cars with a strong low end blah blah blah. That doesnt matter since we are talking PURE WOT i believe. The point is that the TB, intake track, maf, etc will decrease airflow compared to a air filter sitting on top of a carb.

I must say, i have also learned A LOT in this thread. More threads like this need to come up more often :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I think its funny how you young guys find this stuff interesting.

The fact that you can take our cars and mod them to the 300rwhp - 350fwhp mark and have the following available to you that you did not have with the old school carb combos:

low end torque ... and lots of it
mid 12's down the 1/4
cruise around town and get close to 20mpg
street manners just like stock except for cam lope

All the above and tunes that sound great while you are nice and cool in the hot summer time.

Now that is what I find interesting!

I had all kinds of cars back in the old days of carbs and such and just to give you an brief idea of how things were then.

nowhere near the low end torque
13's were fast for a street car back then
8 to 10 mpg
street manners ... lol ... there were none
clutch so hard to push your leg would cramp at times
cam lope 2 to 3 times the amount of today
bucking at low speeds so bad, well, it just sucked
cold starts, you really had to work at it to keep it running and then ... you had to sit still until the temp came up a good bit cause you just could not drive until then
I could go on and on!
Almost forgot ...
NO AC
tunes sounded like a tiny clock radio

YES ... its true ... they were more simple and much easier to tune

but ... for a STREET CAR!

:banana: I love my 95 GT and all the options high tech gives me :banana:

Grady

final5-0 said:
I think its funny how you young guys find this stuff interesting.

The fact that you can take our cars and mod them to the 300rwhp - 350fwhp mark and have the following available to you that you did not have with the old school carb combos:

low end torque ... and lots of it
mid 12's down the 1/4
cruise around town and get close to 20mpg
street manners just like stock except for cam lope

All the above and tunes that sound great while you are nice and cool in the hot summer time.

Now that is what I find interesting!

I had all kinds of cars back in the old days of carbs and such and just to give you an brief idea of how things were then.

nowhere near the low end torque
13's were fast for a street car back then
8 to 10 mpg
street manners ... lol ... there were none
clutch so hard to push your leg would cramp at times
cam lope 2 to 3 times the amount of today
bucking at low speeds so bad, well, it just sucked
cold starts, you really had to work at it to keep it running and then ... you had to sit still until the temp came up a good bit cause you just could not drive until then
I could go on and on!
Almost forgot ...
NO AC
tunes sounded like a tiny clock radio

YES ... its true ... they were more simple and much easier to tune

but ... for a STREET CAR!

:banana: I love my 95 GT and all the options high tech gives me :banana:

Grady

I found this thread interesting because i never knew why carbs could make more power....now i do.

And i agree, thats why i referred to WOT performance or for a race car it seems a carb would be better for straight up performance. Now get into a street car and the long intake runners, MPG, and all that good stuff makes the FI setup much better.

mattkimsey said:
So you're going to run the stock block on spray?

Oh yes...untill...it breaks! LOL

Actually a friend of mine had a very similar setup...except a 347 with stock block...he broke two blocks with his blower...converted to carb with a plate...squeezed 250 to it every friday night...lasted for over 4 years. He said that boost is really hard on it and nitrous is not AS hard on it. We'll see how long it lasts...I want to make a 351 based motor...they seem to be alot stronger anyways.