Effects on 67 mustang

100MilesNRunnin

Aug 15, 2005
Im going to be putting 2 15"s in my 67 mustang behind the rear seat, i was wondering if the stock alternator would be able to handle the amps if 2 2000 watt amps, if i should get a cap or a new alternator all together. ive been told that for safety reasons i should have a cap, but others said its worth it to pay the 200bucks for a bigger alternator. just hoping someone could help me before i have to start experimenting.

• Sponsors (?)

a stock alternator(60 amp) will not handle it,you will drain the batteries and the aternator will over work to compensate.I got a chevy 1 wire 100 amp for about 90 bucks from a rebuild place and polished the case.Your better off running 2 batteries.A cap really doesnt work,but they look cool with the flashing display,i have been through the cap thing from 1 farad to 5 farad and had better luck with 2 strong NEW batteries,dont add a new battery to your current one,it will kill it.

100MilesNRunnin said:
a guess an isolator would be the correct term
http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITS200

i was planning just to use that and put an optima yellow top in the back.
yeah,that will work,but i feel its a waste of money. I dont use those in anything I own,bit you really want to use one,just buy a 3 terminal HD type,it will do the same thing and cost about 15 bucks.

We just took my boat out and played the stereo for hours on end and never killed the battery.It has dual marine batteries,2 15" CV woofers,4 Pioneer 6X9"s and 4 Pionner 6.5".The amps total about 4000 watts and its played loud for hours.The batteries are wired together in parallel.I have my truck wired the same way with 3 JL 12W6's and about 3200 watts,but I added a blue top Orbit to the 2 year old red top Optima,The red top wasted the blur top because it was older.