efi intake for more low end torque

mred03gt

Dec 10, 2003
Hi Guys,

I am looking for an intake compromise for my 342 listed in my signature. I am shifting at 6500 and the top end is fine. But the thing is a dog down low with the TFS R. I don't want to totally choke the top end, but I have got to get some more get up and go back. Any ideas? I have tfs track heat and cobra, but I think those might be too small.

Thanks
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Well i dont know if there is a lot you can do in a situation like this. Perhaps you may be better off advancing the cam 4-6* to gain some of that low end grunt. I think that throwing a cobra intake on there is a bad idea. The street heat would be a decent option...but like you said you are probably going to drop that shift point back to about 6k by doing the swap! good luck man

What kind of torque converter are you running? If your running a stock converter it is going to feel like a dog in the lower rpm's. A combo like yours will need atleast a 3,000-3,500 stall to work well. Another option may be a 4R70W gear set. I am unsure of the ratios but if IIRC the 4R70W has a lower first and second gear ratios but I don't have a auto so I haven't looked that closely at them.

Thanks guys,

I am running a 3000 stall converter, but maybe it could use a little more. I did not want more than 3000 because I still drive the car on the street sometimes. I am looking at changing the gear set. 1st in the aode is 2.40 and 1st in the 4r70w is 2.84.
I should have changed the gears when I rebuilt the transmission in May, but as usual I did not think ahead. I was hoping there was a compromise that would beat the laws of physics.

Thanks again,

Scott

I didn't see it in the sig so I figured I would mention it but I didn't see anyone building a combo like that without a converter.:D

+1 on the track heat. If you got it'll only cost you a set of gaskets and if you don't like it it only cost about 20 dollars and a few hours. I don't know anything about the R series intake. How does it compare with the holley systemax?

I am going to put the track heat on this weekend. It seems like the easiest thing at the moment to do. Hopefully, it will help. I don't want to change the gears or add more converter right now. It seems, I am doomed to always have a miss-matched combo. Thanks for the help.

Scott

The track heat won't be a total mismatch but will not be optimum either. From everything I read the Holley is a great intake and works really well on stroker and blower applications. It has longer runners but they are pretty big and flow well. I'm not sure if it will be the best but I think it's a option. Check out this page on another site it has plenty of dyno comparisons between intakes. This page and page three of the same thread has some intresting info.

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=7625&page=2

Thats a really interesting thread. I was amazed at how well the Gt-40 family performed. Especially in the more streetable rpms up to about 4000. Its no surprise that the track heat and performer rpm intakes made bigger power above 5k but up til that point they were pretty equal. Good stuff.

just some interesting info here.

my friend runs a stock 5.0 bottom end, with afr 165's, custom cam, and an rpm2 intake.

He wanted to see what an explorer intake could do, so he fully ported an explorer intake, and swapped it on, and took off the rpm2. He gained torque, and brought the power band into a MUCH more useable form. This time he wasn't making all his power up top, it was much more spread out. He did lose a few hp (like 7) but that isn't till the very very top, and it may be able to be tuned out. He's convinced the ported explorer is a better intake for a combo like his.

However, you're definetly making more power than him, and a cobra intake is gonna kill you