engine disassembly

shelbe67

Apr 10, 2004
I have an engine that I am about to disassemble. It has 30,000 original miles. I thought that it mite have a knock but now I realize that it mite have been a misadjuted rocker. I was looking for an excuse to put my 347 in the car anyway lol. Well I am down to just the shortblock and am gonna strip it down further to freshen up the engine. What should i be looking for? what parts should I keep? the cylinder walls have no scoring so I dont think it has to be bored out. I would like to keep everything as original as possible, this isnt actually for a classic stang the 347 is. This is the original engine to my 93 cobra that I wanna make factory stock again thanks alot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

to be honest the car had tfs heads on it I had never adjusted adjustable rockers before and when I swapped in the other engine I misadjusted them also kinda made the same noise. I have some rust on the cylinder walls forming I just checked the block. I just dont wanna put it all back together in the car and it really be a knock from the bottom end. I have rebiult engines before just never tore one down to make sure everything is ok I always had the intention of rebuilding the engine so I never really cared. thanks!

thanks guys I am gonna try to get to it tommorrow. what if I have a piston slap? just wondering cause a buddy of mine had that once. If the bearings are ok then it should be ok to just put it all back together? do you think I should do the rings or the bearings while I am there or should it be ok? what should I do about the flash rust on the walls?