engine knock

mustangkid90

Jan 31, 2004
My 90 2.3L hatchback has recentley been knocking. not loud loud but able to hear when in car and noticeable outside more..........any thoughts. i think its on the top of motor but who knows.....? and another problem is the damn belts. they are squeaking like crazy........... change em...? the serpintine belt is also sliding off, not all the way but a little and you can see the tread mark on the belt from the pulley.... what is it? well help me if you can :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok First you should try taking Peanut Butter and putting it where you would usually fill the oil. If it stops then you should rebuild the Engine. the Peanut Butter makes the oil alot thicker and therefore stops the knock. Use about half a jar.

What the ****!!!!!

Testament said:
Ok First you should try taking Peanut Butter and putting it where you would usually fill the oil. If it stops then you should rebuild the Engine. the Peanut Butter makes the oil alot thicker and therefore stops the knock. Use about half a jar.

Dude i asked for help not a smart a$$

Well, he was half right, dont use peanut butter but stick some STP or something in it to thicken up the oil that may help. Also a little more detail would help, does it knock all the time or only when its cold? Is it a clanking, or a ticking noise? Have you checked all of you plugs and wires? could be something as simple as a misfire. And i would throw some new belts on and make sure its the belts that are squeaking and not the Powersteering pump or alternator.

Dr.

how many miles are on it ,does only do it idle , poss. could be cam and follower are kwon to go bad since there not roller where are you from. mine make a noise only at idle and has been for about 50k miles hasn't broken yet

pull plug wires while it is at idle and knocking. If the noise goes away, it is the bottom end. If it doesn't go away, it is most likely the top end. This is not an end all test because rod bearings act funny, but it could give you a good idea.
As for the belts, I would start by looking at the tensioner. Less tension in the belts allows them to slip, which makes them squeal, and they can also ride funny. even if that is the problem, you probably need to replace the belts anyway. Don't worry, they are cheap.