"Equally" Screwed

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Just bought a 94 GT and the previous owner installed equal length bbk shorties, but did not put the dipstick in correctly. Is there anyway to bend the stock dipstick around the mass of bent tubing of the equal length headers?

Have any pictures of your dipstick with the equal length headers?

• Sponsors (?)

i hated the EL headers that were on my car when i bought it. they burned plug wires and i also had the dipstick problem.

mine were bbks too. i got rid of the headers

Oh yea its a major pain. I was able to get the dipstick back in, but i cant seem to get the bracket on the dipstick tube to stay on the header bolt. I will probably just zip tie it down somewhere.

When money allows i'll be putting the equal length headers up for sale and getting some "regular" shorties. It was a pain in the a$$ doing a tune up yesterday.

I have mine zip tied to the brake lines on the master cylinder. No problems, except for my strut tower brace hiding the dipstick! I could just see the oil change place trying to find it! (not that I take my car there :) )

BBK EL aren't that bad!

First off BBK EL aren't that bad :rolleyes:

I have never had burnt wires and the stock dipstick bracket can be bent with plenty of clearance. It attaches to the #7 bolt just as with stock headers. There is about 1/4" of clearance over the BBK plate on the #6 pipe.

attachment.php

And before anyone comments on using stock rockerarms on aluminum heads just know that I am on a budget and buy my parts when I can justify them. I currently run Crane "Cobra" 1.7:1 roller rockers :)

The #6 sparkplug is the only one that is tricky because of the dipstick bracket.
Just put the socket on it first and then attach the ratchet on the socket. That way you don't have to loosen the header bolt and move the dipstick bracket out of the way.

Attachments

• MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 175
I have the same problem with my equal lengths, but I would just attribute that to my never having used them before. I'm not burning any plug wires, but I'm having an issue with the dipstick tube being routed between the #7 primary tube and the steering shaft. This causes the three to come into contact when I'm driving, and I can feel resistance through the steering wheel. I'm just going to upgrade to long tubes (which I should have done in the first place since there is only about $50 difference between the equal length shorties and long tubes).

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

ive never had a problem with plug wires on my car with my equal lengths either. the only ones burning plug wires are the ones that need to buy wires that you can custom cut for your car. magically the problem will go away. i simply zip tied my dipstick to the brake lines as welll.