Exhaust question

Well, i'm gonna do the 2.3T swap on my 92 hatch! :banana: ! my buddy whose a 5oh owner :notnice: is gonna give me a hand. i told him that i want to put dual flowmaster catback exhaust on it. he said since im gonna have a turbo, that duals or catbacks wouldnt be a good idea. :shrug: what gives? :shrug: is he right? he told me that we should just have a single exhaust, for what reason, i dont know. maybe my fellow 2.3ers can shed some light on the subject. thanks a whole heap guys!

• Sponsors (?)

This seems to be a hot argument. Many who put duals on go for looks. A single exhaust is more sensible because the engine is an I4 so there is only one pipe. Those who do duals get a "y" pipe to split it up. I haven't seen any proof in numbers performance wise. Many stay single exhaust because it is cheaper.

tealtiger93 said:
This seems to be a hot argument. Many who put duals on go for looks. A single exhaust is more sensible because the engine is an I4 so there is only one pipe. Those who do duals get a "y" pipe to split it up. I haven't seen any proof in numbers performance wise. Many stay single exhaust because it is cheaper.
i really dont mind about the duals alto they do look cool. im all about strictly performance. however i would like to still do the flowmasters. do they even have a single exhaust system for our cars?

Well, you kinda have to have a "catback" to have an exhaust system on the car. There's nothing wrong with running "duals" on a turbo car, I have them on my Thunderbird. I prefer the looks of the dual exhaust, but some of the people that make turbo exhaust systems for the turbo 2.3L cars make single outlet 3" systems.

BTW, if you want a dual flowmaster system you'd probably be ahead to just buy a completely '87-93 LX American Thunder cat-back, and take it to an exhaust shop and have them modify it to fit (of course you'll need a y-pipe, and a couple exhaust hangers...if you could get ahold of some factory passenger side exhaust hangers from a 5.0 that'd be your best bet).

Slow92LX said:
i really dont mind about the duals alto they do look cool. im all about strictly performance. however i would like to still do the flowmasters. do they even have a single exhaust system for our cars?
Any competent muffler shop (not Midas!) can fab an exhaust system for you. You DO NOT want to run Flowmasters on a turbo'd 4! They're very restrictive to our engines. The biggest performance hinderance to 2.3T's is airflow in and out. On the exhaust side, you want the least amount of backpressure possible. That means large diameter exhaust and straight thru mufflers.

On my '89 the exhaust consists of a Bob's log, 3" elbow and downpipe, 3" Catco hi-flow cat, split into 2-1/2" duals with Dynomax Ultraflow 2-1/2" mufflers. The Dynomax's are one of the better straight thru design mufflers for our motors.

BTW, there is an awesome sale going on until June 15. $50 rebate on Dynomax mufflers. They retail on Summit for $69.88. That means a $70 muffler is gonna cost under $20! Can't beat it!! :spot:

evintho said:
Any competent muffler shop (not Midas!) can fab an exhaust system for you. You DO NOT want to run Flowmasters on a turbo'd 4! They're very restrictive to our engines. The biggest performance hinderance to 2.3T's is airflow in and out. On the exhaust side, you want the least amount of backpressure possible. That means large diameter exhaust and straight thru mufflers.

On my '89 the exhaust consists of a Bob's log, 3" elbow and downpipe, 3" Catco hi-flow cat, split into 2-1/2" duals with Dynomax Ultraflow 2-1/2" mufflers. The Dynomax's are one of the better straight thru design mufflers for our motors.

BTW, there is an awesome sale going on until June 15. $50 rebate on Dynomax mufflers. They retail on Summit for $69.88. That means a $70 muffler is gonna cost under $20! Can't beat it!! :spot:
i still would like an aggressive sound from the 2.3T... wil the Dynomax's provide?

Slow92LX said:
i still would like an aggressive sound from the 2.3T... wil the Dynomax's provide?
It's all personal preference. I personally don't like the 'angry tractor' sound, and that's pretty much as 'aggressive' as the 2.3T gets. Dynomax also makes the straight thru bullet mufflers (they also have a rebate) and those might be more to your liking.

Check out this soundclip of RedLX's TC. He's running Hooker Maximum Flow's (also a good straight thru design) and it sounds awesome! I was debating between the Dynomax's and the Hooker's, but in the end, the Dynomax's cheap price got me!
http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/dload.php?action=file&file_id=287

SVOconvert,
Go to www.summitracing.com click on 'special offers' in the lefthand column. I haven't looked in their latest catalog. :banana:

evintho said:
It's all personal preference. I personally don't like the 'angry tractor' sound, and that's pretty much as 'aggressive' as the 2.3T gets. Dynomax also makes the straight thru bullet mufflers (they also have a rebate) and those might be more to your liking.

Check out this soundclip of RedLX's TC. He's running Hooker Maximum Flow's (also a good straight thru design) and it sounds awesome! I was debating between the Dynomax's and the Hooker's, but in the end, the Dynomax's cheap price got me!
http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/dload.php?action=file&file_id=287

SVOconvert,
Go to www.summitracing.com click on 'special offers' in the lefthand column. I haven't looked in their latest catalog. :banana:
well i watched the vid and it fits my liking. i saw that he had dual exhaust. is this necessary? i like dual catbacks a lot. i dont thinks his are catbacks tho. well theres supposed to be a law(which is still being debated if it should happen or not) here in Illinois regarding something with exhaust which i havent looked into but will. also in order to pass emissions, you need to have catlytic convertors. i was curious of what the cost would be between duals(no cat) and single exhaust? PS was that whining sound the turbo in the vid???

Really, you can run flowmasters, it's not THAT much of a HP loss if you're running 40's, and supposedly they sound really nice.

Also, when you watch that vid of my car keep in mind that I have a 3" downpipe and no cat. I'm not sure about the "whining" sound in the vid cuz I can't hear it :shrug:

Oh and duals aren't necessary. I really just did it for looks and fitment (didn't wanna try snaking a 3" pipe over the rear axle)

OK, I found it in the summit catalog. Are the super turbos or the ultra flos better? The super turbos are cheaper but it looks like the ultras have a better design that wont rust and rot out right away. The ultras look heavy duty like the flowmasters. I have 2.5 all the way back into a 40 series flowmaster. I think it sounds pretty good, but I want looks and performance so I'm going to get three put on split into 2.5 inch duals.
Slow92lx, what part of Illinois are you from? I'm right across the river from St. Louis.

super turbo= no!

Super turbos have those S-shaped flow paths common to "turbo" mufflers. Really, it's not even a good design for n/a engines IMO, much less turbo engines. Also super turbos are really quiet, I had a couple on my Turbo coupe for a short while (with dumps even) and they were wayyyy too quiet, ended up getting the max flows instead. Really, the ideal setup for a turbo car is a straight through muffler, like the ultra flow or hooker maximum flow.

I'm running a single 2.5" superturbo. With no cats, I love the sound. They arn't too loud and really let you hear the intake noise. Maybe I'll measure my backpressure after the turbo someday, but I doubt there is very much. Certainly not comparable to the backpressure my T3 is making. It could be a lot more efficient with a bigger turbine.
As for flowmasters not flowing... sure they arn't a streight through design, but if you are running duals, you'll have plenty of flow anyway. Stinger claims no difference in performance when he opens the exhaust cutout on his car.

Why dont you just run without a muffler? is that bad? yester day, my pipe broke apart right before the muffler, and i thought it sounded kinda cool. i asked my nieghnor what he thinks about it and i qoute his response ( the question i asked is if i should leave the muffler off) " Well id say just leave it how it is now, it sounds really cool for a v6 car. i mean when u put the trottle all the way open it kinda sounds like an airplane, but when you drive normal it sounds nice and throaty." and he was very surprised that i have a 4 banger. now he said that if i an hard on the engine with no muffler, the valves may burn up. my other neighbor disagreed saying that less backpressure is probably a good thing for me, and that i might find a small performance gain, which i have.

does any one else run cat back?

Regardless of all the people that have been on this board and said their car sounds "kinda cool" with no muffler or with a glasspack, I have yet to hear anything besides a V8 that doesn't sound like total ass with no muffler. Now, on a turbo car you can supposedly get away with no muffler(s) if you have a cat, but I have a feeling it would probably still be kinda loud and gross sounding.