Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Yeah...it’s over 100 degrees in mine as well. I have some welding to do but that’s going to need to wait til it cools

47715D54-E74A-4406-B521-9DBC1A6FD4CE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Surprised
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm really just dreading getting back underneath the steering wheel and tightening the nuts on the brake booster. I gotta get it done soon though. I really want to get the MC done and drive the car again for a few weeks before doing gaskets and working on leaks, etc.

First I will say that most of the time I watch the first minute or three of a video and then I move on and that is what I did when I played the first couple of yours, but I have to say now I watch your entire video, I don't know why, maybe it's the beard or maybe it's just to spot stuff in your garage :shrug: they are entertaining enough to hold my attention.
I will say that you should get a Ford assembly manual for your car, I have one for mine and it is a time saver, no searching multiple boobtube videos and miss information.
Although the members here will always be helpful.
Keep plugging along, you're do'n great! :nice:
I appreciate the positive input and you watching the entire videos. I am often trying to think of ways to make the videos more interesting and exciting and then I start working on something and all my creative dreams go out the window, lol.

The beard had to be temporarily tamed as I had to make an appearance at the office a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for note about assembly manuals...it made me remember that I have these. I picked these up from the previous owner. I've opened them a few times but I keep forgetting that I have them as we have been reorganizing/rearranging the garage.
3049B33C-F491-4649-8768-07698E04FE9D.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
Took a “break” from the Fox Body to add new GT500 mufflers to my 2014 GT. After driving around with the stock mufflers for the last few months (and not driving the Fox for over a month), it’s so nice to have a decent sounding exhaust again.

View: https://youtu.be/sIx0NBsJhHY

So back to the Fox...I tried mocking up different combinations of the MM brake lines between the new master cylinder and the factory proportioning valve. Not having a lot of luck.

Anybody know if this lines up normal? I saw a few pics that make me think my proportioning valve is set a little bit further forward than it should be...figured I would at least ask.
7E099D57-5F2B-419E-B04F-3AE2D3C3E951.jpeg

The copper (possibly cupronickel) lines that were on the car line up pretty close to perfect. Not planning on using these unless someone knows an easy, fool-proof way to confirm they are cupronickel.
6F025B39-8039-45E3-AFF6-509662F12958.jpeg

@Mustang5L5 mentioned that standard 87-93 lines should work. The only place I can find any of those is on eBay. They look a little different than the lines I have.

Here are mine:
4AB7CC0B-4424-4AFB-AD7B-841B363C9F42.jpeg

Here’s what I’m seeing on eBay:
B8C4CD67-7A52-4E61-822C-6E775B57E090.png
02892131-437C-44EA-A131-00845D8D1778.png

The prop valve only fits in one spot, the bolt and the 'tang' (little ear that fits in the hole lines the bracket with the bolt hole) only fit one way, the lines that you took off likely were bent by another owner for what ever reason, just adjust the lines that are supposed to be there by carefully bending them to fit.

The prop valve only fits in one spot, the bolt and the 'tang' (little ear that fits in the hole lines the bracket with the bolt hole) only fit one way, the lines that you took off likely were bent by another owner for what ever reason, just adjust the lines that are supposed to be there by carefully bending them to fit.
I thought that was the case but figured I would ask to satisfy my paranoia. Thanks for confirming.

I was able to mock it up using these two lines after some pushing and pulling..
C6503BBE-6D1E-4A57-84CA-2FAA00F97EB3.jpeg 5875E92A-6ED9-4D62-BC88-C9DBE3C96D22.jpeg

Of course the problem with the rear line is the opening in the t-fitting.
FABC3C19-E5EB-4EE5-B80C-617796B8398D.jpeg

Assuming I could find something that fits tightly enough in that bottom opening, any reason why this setup wouldn’t work?

I don’t thing you’ll nice something to seal that. Brake lines NEED the tapered flare or bubble to seal. Threads alone will fail over time.
Here’s my ‘93 cobra MC, stock lines and pv. Missing are the three lines into the PV of course

945F0057-B3D6-4E09-A30F-412E0093A6D8.jpeg
CE2101D5-2BFA-4A12-BC0C-96DF57459471.jpeg
2D482513-06C7-4986-9CA1-2F9EADF1D3B6.jpeg

Just watched a few of your vids. Previous owner certainly did you no favors with that brake MC install.

One thing I caught was the original MC was in fact a stock 3-port MC. The PO plugged the bottom port, and then just relocated the line down to the prop valve. That makes no sense. They did the work to install a 2-port MC, but didn’t actually do it. Wow

Just watched a few of your vids. Previous owner certainly did you no favors with that brake MC install.

One thing I caught was the original MC was in fact a stock 3-port MC. The PO plugged the bottom port, and then just relocated the line down to the prop valve. That makes no sense. They did the work to install a 2-port MC, but didn’t actually do it. Wow
Yeah it’s been an experience trying to figure out what was done and how, between the unique alternator upgrade and the whole brake MC debacle.

They do look like copper lines. The ones in the rolls at the parts stores aren't even that color. Whoever's eagle eye caught that deserves a beer.

Looks like Mr car stealer guy pointed it out back in post 83 in March....and we all skipped right on over it.

Are those brake lines copper? They don't look right and one looks to be leaking at the fitting.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users