fine tune diablo for our cars

I`d like to know if any one has fine tuned above and beyond a stock 93 octane tune,fuel mix and spark, with only slp loud mouths as the only other mod.I`m assuming diablo is on conservitive side with the stock 93 tune.Can we squeeze a little more zip from this deal safley or not?I`ll assume any responsibility lol. More importantly what exactly would those changes in the parrameters be?Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Dyno

I have stock exhaust with 91 Predator tune and & C&L. I picked up 8 hp and 16 ft/lbs torque wiith seven runs on the dyno. Unded up with 287 hp and 392 torque. I think their tunes are pretty conservative.

Dyno run

After the tune & C & L, I advanced the 91 tune 1 degree on global spark and had no detonation. On the the first dyno base run with the 91 tune the air/fuel ratio was about 11.6 at 4500rpm and about 12.3 at 6500. The next run he advanced the timing and leaned it out a bunch and the hp & torque decreased. On subsequent runs he only fiddled with the air fuel ratio. On the 7th run, we quit. at an air/fuel ratio of about 13.1 pretty steady across the rpm range. We got about 1/2 hp more a a little leaner, but decided to be safe. Remember, I only had 91 octane in the tank, so we didn't want to push the envelope too far on the timing. Peak hp was at about 6000rpm and peak torque at 4300 rpm. I'm sure 93 octane would have developed more hp, but it is hard to find around here. Hope this helps.

An important element in the dyno tuning of 2005 Mustang GT is heat. The 05 Mustang GT is extremely heat sensitive. This is the reason we prefer CAI systems that shroud the filter to prevent heat soaked IAT, this makes a HUGE difference on the street. We dyno all vehicles hood down with a fan system that generates 60+ MPH air flow to the vehicle.

Another important point here is you said “7th pull” was 13.1 A/F. That’s quite a few pulls, how many pulls are made, and the length of time between pulls can be an important factor in how you analyze the data, again heat is the key.

We find an A/F of 12-12.5 seems to be best in our testing; we use 93 octane fuels and are running a loadable chassis dyno. Different A/F sensors can vary, as can dyno’s.

DiabloSport engineers running the vehicle at 98% load makes a big difference, remember static pulls, no load, do not allow the vehicle to look at the proper WOT load tables. Running WOT at 60% load, instead of 98% load, is looking at calibration data quite different then what the vehicle sees on the street. Dyno software can compensate to some extent on power numbers, but this is why you see a different, but more accurate, power and A/F number out of loadable dyno runs.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]

Dyno

NickDiabloSport said:
An important element in the dyno tuning of 2005 Mustang GT is heat. The 05 Mustang GT is extremely heat sensitive. This is the reason we prefer CAI systems that shroud the filter to prevent heat soaked IAT, this makes a HUGE difference on the street. We dyno all vehicles hood down with a fan system that generates 60+ MPH air flow to the vehicle.

Another important point here is you said “7th pull” was 13.1 A/F. That’s quite a few pulls, how many pulls are made, and the length of time between pulls can be an important factor in how you analyze the data, again heat is the key.

We find an A/F of 12-12.5 seems to be best in our testing; we use 93 octane fuels and are running a loadable chassis dyno. Different A/F sensors can vary, as can dyno’s.

DiabloSport engineers running the vehicle at 98% load makes a big difference, remember static pulls, no load, do not allow the vehicle to look at the proper WOT load tables. Running WOT at 60% load, instead of 98% load, is looking at calibration data quite different then what the vehicle sees on the street. Dyno software can compensate to some extent on power numbers, but this is why you see a different, but more accurate, power and A/F number out of loadable dyno runs.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]
Nick--Thanks for the info. Yes, my pulls where made with the hood up and a fan on. I would have liked to see the hood down and a big fan. I'm sure with proper setup, we could have gained a few more hp. However, we did gain 8 hp over the first pull and all the heat. We were also only using 91 octane fuel becuse that's about all we can get around here anymore. Seems like this has to be an improvement over where we started. Does this make sense, or am I missing something. thanks John

In the real world you have the fuel you have, and this is a limiting factor. Dyno tuning is still the best way to find that little extra HP, and make sure the calibration is made for your set up, we can’t tune for every CAI and other modifications.

DiabloSport has studied the 05 GT carefully, naturally aspirated, supercharged and with nitros oxide, as our association with almost all the supercharger manufacturers, and our track times with JPC in MMFF clearly shows. We test many vehicles and make what we feel is the best all around calibration for all conditions.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]