first cali earthquake

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Experienced my first cali earthquake. Wasn't my first earthquake however. My first one was in Atlanta my freshman year of College. It felt worse than this one. There was also one in Atlanta a couple years back while I was away at the island. I know that one bigger cause my mom sent me an article which measured it and all that and we felt it a bit at the island (though it was just enough to make the racks rattle.

Also got the news that I'll be extending my already far to lengthy stay in cali (I hate this state with a passion, no offense to all you cali stangers, but I definitely belong on the east coast, 1 day in this state is longer than I like) into september. The upside: money. And that part I won't complain about. :)

• Sponsors (?)

skywalker said:
Experienced my first cali earthquake. {/quote]
Did you even notice it? Or did somebody have to tell you why there was all the panic in the SoCal streets? :lol: I'm not being facetious; the last "moderately" sized earthquake had it's epicenter in the Imperial Valley, almost equidistant between you and I - about 30 miles NW of NAF El Centro. Big thumper; alerted California Dept of Emerg Mgmt for possible deployment and everything. First I knew about it was reading the following day's newspaper - in Section C! :p
Also got the news that I'll be extending my already far to lengthy stay in cali (I hate this state with a passion, no offense to all you cali stangers, but I definitely belong on the east coast, 1 day in this state is longer than I like) into september.
Now if you could just get your TAD appended to beautiful MCAS-Yuma! We could have a quickie get-together and compare recreational beverages and such. :nice:
The upside: money. And that part I won't complain about. :)
And you could handle all the bar tabs in exchange for my counsel regarding "watering holes" along the Mexican Border! :nice: :nice: :nice:

Ha, I've spent time in both armpits of the USMC....Yuma and 29. that was one of the reasons I decided to leave active duty. They were consolidating the MACS unit I was in at Pendleton down to Yuma. Then they tell me they are setting a det up in Mirimar...that I would have liked. Plus I would have made Gunney 2 years earlier...but no matter, still made it.

Skywalker, just be glad I don't give ya a ration for being from GT...I spent two years at Clemson in SC..didn't leave of my own choice either, they had to activate me...and before you try to give me any crap...remember I outrank you... :D

mustangracer said:
Ha, I've spent time in both armpits of the USMC....Yuma and 29. that was one of the reasons I decided to leave active duty. They were consolidating the MACS unit I was in at Pendleton down to Yuma. Then they tell me they are setting a det up in Mirimar...that I would have liked. Plus I would have made Gunney 2 years earlier...but no matter, still made it.

Skywalker, just be glad I don't give ya a ration for being from GT...I spent two years at Clemson in SC..didn't leave of my own choice either, they had to activate me...and before you try to give me any crap...remember I outrank you... :D

I'll keep my mouth shut about your college. :)

You'll probably outrank me for quite awhile. Getting promoted in the reserves (much less as a skid kid) is damned near impossible.

Getting TAD to Yuma isn't entirely out of the question before I get demobed at the beginning of the year. Lots of DETs to Yuma. Actually, I am pretty sure we have one going to Yuma right after I get back to ATL.

Miramar is a damned nice duty station,especially by comparison to the stumps. Right now we're rotating people in and out at the stumps since Camp Wilson is more or less closed (Skeleton crew.) So my shop keeps a troubleshooter down there. It is actually a gravy position, all they gotta do is be there in case something goes wrong - nothing has yet. Our plane captains are top notch.

Edit: Oh and yeah, I did feel it. Lasted a few seconds, and barely felt it. AP wrote like it was was some big thing. I thought it was pretty weak myself.